Hand-me-down iPhone

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Hand-me-down iPhone

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 pm

I just updated to an iPhone 6s and passed my iPhone 6 to my wife (to update her iPhone 5). We did the same previously when I got the 5.
Here are some notes, in case it might help someone else.

Both times we had to call Verizon to get help transferring the phones. It's not at all as straightforward as just activating a new iPhone shipped by Verizon, which took only a few minutes with no human help needed. (Copying all my apps took another 20 minutes or so.)

So I recommend just calling Verizon right off, without even trying to do it yourself. You will need the phone number you're changing, and the ID numbers from the phone you're switching to, so make sure those are available. We had already erased the iPhone 6, so finding the numbers took a bit of sleuthing. The Verizon rep found one and I found the IMEI on my receipt from last year.

Once the Verizon activation was complete, we turned on iTunes and plugged in the iPhone 6. A screen I've never seen before appeared. iTunes recognized the iPhone 6 as a new phone and presented a choice to set up as a new phone or restore from the backup we'd just made. No other action in iTunes was available. For example, we had no choice to do a manual restore or sync. We chose restore. All went well, and we got reports that the iPhone settings had been copied. But no apps had.
iTunes still showed the same screen. Clicking restore again ran through the same procedure with the same result of the same screen. Thinking we had gotten into a loop, I restarted both the iPhone and the iMac. No dice.

Finally, we tried the only other possible choice, clicking set up as a new iPhone. Lo, we returned to the regular iTunes interface and saw all of her apps begin to be copied.

I don't know what would have happened if we had chosen set up as a new iPhone right at the beginning.

In any case, I found the two choices poorly worded.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Leya Heart
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Hand-me-down iPhone

Post by Leya Heart » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks for tips re Verizon. We are moving up from 4s..I know, hard to believe!...and I'm curious what you and your wife think about the differences between the 6 and the 6s. I know the camera goes from 8 to 12, which is big. But for the average user, what is the biggest difference? I would appreciate any observations you have to share!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:36 am

Leya Heart wrote:Thanks for tips re Verizon. We are moving up from 4s..I know, hard to believe!...and I'm curious what you and your wife think about the differences between the 6 and the 6s. I know the camera goes from 8 to 12, which is big. But for the average user, what is the biggest difference? I would appreciate any observations you have to share!
I'd say that for the average user, the camera is the only big change. The 6s camera is wonderful.
The 6s is infinitesimally thicker and heavier. And its processor is faster, but you won't notice that except in productivity apps and maybe some video games. Both have LTE, which is a very big deal in PA and Sequim and any city. I think you can find the specs side by side on Apple's site.
The 6s has the pressure-sensitive screen, but I haven't found myself using that feature.
Steve Jobs

Leya Heart
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Leya Heart » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for the reaponse, Stephen! I've waited so long now, I might just have to go for the 6s. The camera is worth it I'm sure.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Leya Heart wrote:Thanks for the reaponse, Stephen! I've waited so long now, I might just have to go for the 6s. The camera is worth it I'm sure.
I think you'll like it if you use the iPhone camera much.

Also, maybe some of the other features will be useful to you.
Steve Jobs