Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:13 pm

I've been in AZ for the past month and always leave my Macbook pro plugged in and in sleep mode when not using it. All of a sudden today it started requiring me to log in each time I wake it to use it. I've looked at System Preferences and everything is unchecked just like it has been since I bought this two years ago. Why is it now requiring a log in? I'm the only one that uses it.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Log in

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:21 pm

All of a sudden today it started requiring me to log in each time I wake it to use it.
When you say "log in" do you mean type your MacBook Pro's password?

If so, look at System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options. If Automatic login is Off, that means it's set to require a password after shut down or logout. (This is highly recommended, by me at least. Under normal circumstances, you should rarely have to log in.)

If I'm off base here, let us know and we'll pursue other ideas.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Yes - by log in I mean "enter name and password". I did check > Security & Privacy > General: nothing is checked. I also checked > Users & Groups, per your suggestion. My name is listed with Login Options > automatic login. I set this up 2 years ago when I purchased it and have had no trouble until today. I'm hoping nobody is tracking my where-a-bouts and think this is stolen. I am 1,700 miles from home.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:43 pm

It seems extremely unlikely that you have any problem, other than a setting that got changed. Here's what I see in System Preferences > Users & Groups > [unlock with password] > Login Options. This is how it looks if you want to require a password when logging in.

Are you logging in from afar, or is your MacBook with you?

If you're worried, you could change the login password. But, of course, you need to be absolutely sure you remember (and write down somewhere) the new password.
Attachments
login.jpg
login.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Steve Jobs

RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 am

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 7.11.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 7.11.11 PM.png (70.72 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 7.02.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 7.02.18 PM.png (80.71 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
I have my macbook with me. If something got changed, I don't know how that happened, I haven't been in there since I bought it 2 years ago. Here are my settings:

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:54 am

Are you logged in this account? I see that you have Fast User Switching on, so you should see the login name in the menubar.

When, exactly, do you see the login request? Are you sure it's a login request for OS X or could it be for iTunes Store?
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:20 pm

My user name is in the menu bar, where its always been. I almost never shut it down. When I'm finished I'll just close the lid. If I open it within an hour +- my desktop comes up, If it is closed much longer, overnight for example, the screen is black and then the sign in box appears. This started all of a sudden, last Wed I used it with no problem, when I opened the lid Thur morning it required me to sign in.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Maybe there was an automatic software update overnight and now it is requiring the log in. Just a stab in the dark.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:08 pm

RWehner wrote:My user name is in the menu bar, where its always been. I almost never shut it down. When I'm finished I'll just close the lid. If I open it within an hour +- my desktop comes up, If it is closed much longer, overnight for example, the screen is black and then the sign in box appears. This started all of a sudden, last Wed I used it with no problem, when I opened the lid Thur morning it required me to sign in.
OK, so we know it's not a request for another login. And we know it's not a password request after a short sleep.

Check this:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Require Password

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21781?locale=en_US

Because this seems to have come up recently, and you're traveling, you might check your clock settings.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Steve Jobs

RWehner
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by RWehner » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Right now an automatic software update sounds plausible, but I'm heading home tomorrow and it's a 5 day auto trip. I'll do more research when I get home. Thanks for your input.
Ron