Every iPhone comes with a photo cable release

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Every iPhone comes with a photo cable release

Post by bluesky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 am

This is interesting if you are getting into using your iPhone for photography and video...

If you're a photographer, then you know that a cable release is a tool to take a picture without touching your camera, preventing vibrations and image blur. Now, the iPhone can do this, too.

iOS 5 introduced many new features for photographers. Among these is the ability to use the Volume up button to take photos. As a result, the Volume up button on your headphones also works to take photos! It seems perfectly obvious that it should after the fact, but it's not something most of us are likely to try.

This means, every iPhone includes a free cable realease. This is huge for an iPhone photographer because the current shutter buttons aren't very good for keeping your phone steady. Interestingly, I've found that it's often much easier to get burst shots when using my headphones compared to just the volume up key.

Perhaps the best part is that this can be paired with Bluetooth devices! I'm not sure if every headset with volume controls will work (as the buttons need to map correctly to the iPhone), but if a Bluetooth headset can increase the iPhone's volume it should work.

What I have been able to confirm so far is that a Bluetooth keyboard is perfectly capable of acting as a remote. In addition, Joseph Linaschke over at ApertureExpert.com has said that his Bluetooth headset works as well, but I'm not sure which model.

Using a wireless remote opens up even more possibilites, especially when considering that the remote will start and stop video capture, or take self portraits which don't have your arm in the photo.
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Every iPhone comes with a photo cable release

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 am

Also great for street spies, if they can set up a pocket with the iPhone's camera peeking over the pocket top.

You could set up beforehand, switching away from the Music app to the Camera app. That way you could legitimately listen to music while photographing things or people.
Attachments
remote.gif
remote.gif (21.42 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Every iPhone comes with a photo cable release

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:34 am

Here's an article with even more tips for using Apple earbuds with an iPhone or iPad:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/29/ ... wn.132251/
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs