Music.app changes confusing people

Discussion of issues related to iOS 9.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Music.app changes confusing people

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 am

A change in how the Music app works occurred recently, probably with the latest iOS 9.2.1 update. What we saw on our two iPhones and our iPad Pro is a splash screen (black background, with a photo) and nothing else. No buttons or other actions available. I gave up and used our Apple TV 4 instead to stream some music.

This morning, I see a few threads on Apple Support Communities on this issue.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Quit the Music app. Double click the Home button. Swipe up on the large image for Music in the list of apps (you may have to scroll sideways to find it). Make sure the image disappears.
2. Click the Home button once to leave multitasking.
3. Tap the Music icon to restart the app.
4. Wait a few seconds and a progress wheel will appear, followed by a button to join Apple Music for a 3-month trial and a button to Go to My Music.

[9:27 PM]
This has now worked for both of our iPhones and our iPad, and the solutions sticks.

Problem solved.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jhaney54
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Music.app changes confusing people

Post by jhaney54 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:09 am

I just discovered this issue today. Didn't have to kill the app on my iPad to get the button to join Apple Music and a link to go to My Music. They just appeared when I touched the Music app's icon.

Not so lucky with my iPhone 6S. I haven't been able to get the button/link to appear. Tried killing the app and restarting, and even restarted the phone. No joy. Heading over to Apple Support to see if I can find a resolution.

jhaney54
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by jhaney54 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:10 pm

OK, just got off a chat with Apple Support where we came up with a repeatable process that provides a workaround. If Stephen's process doesn't work for you, suggest you try the following:

1. Kill the Music app by double-tapping the Home key and swiping the Music app up off the screen.
2. Place the phone in Airplane Mode.
3. Restart the Music App.
4. Turn Airplane Mode off.

Apple support suggests the following as a permanent solution which I haven't yet tried:

- Create a back up of your iPhone to make sure your data is safe. You can use either iCloud or iTunes.

- Connect your iPhone to iTunes and make sure it’s up to date. If the update didn’t install properly, iTunes will download software to be installed on your iPhone. 

- 
If that doesn’t work, restore the phone to factory settings, set it up as new and then restore from your backup.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 pm

That Apple suggestion sounds arduous. On my home DSL connection, it'd take tens of hours.
(BTW, iCloud and iTunes backups are not equivalent.)

So far, on three iOS devices, including an iPhone 6s, we've gotten by with just restarting the Music app.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs