iPad Pro and Pencil

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Pro and Pencil

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Here's a comment I've seen a few times, with various wording, of course:

"Pencil is shaped to be immediately familiar to the user, but committing to a completely cylindrical format meant making concessions in ergonomics. Styli from Wacom and other professional imaging hardware companies boast thick bodies, sometimes shaped like hourglasses and wrapped in rubber sheathing. By comparison, Apple Pencil is a slender wand with a hard, slick body, not ideal for extended periods of use." http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/ ... -accessory

I have two words for those folks: "pencil grip" Amazon returns 400 pages of pencil grips. And you could easily make your own from silicone rubber tubing, if you want to DIY. Also, people have been using slim, cylindrical or octagonal wooden pencils for, er, well, more than two hundred years. They're still sold today, I'd guess in the billions. So called "ergonomic" pencils and pens are a modern sales gimick phenomenon. Here's an artist who uses a grip stolen from a pen. (His YouTube video on painting a sky is also cool, very soothing.

I've also seen snarky comments about charging the Pencil by plugging it into the iPad. I have two digits for those folks: 15. That's the number of seconds you need to charge the Pencil to get 30 minutes of use. The ability to do a partial recharge without digging out your lightning cable and taking a coffee break will eventually be seen as a wonderful feature. Use the female-female adapter to charge the pencil "normally." And third-party charging stations will appear pretty soon now. Ideally, they'll not have the Pencil sticking up.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Here are some screenshots of a medical student's notes, taken on an iPad Pro using Pencil. My wife could actually understand all this! Me, not so much.

http://imgur.com/a/67QgU
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 am

Here's a tip for drawing with the iPad Pro and the keyboard cover.

The keyboard cover works great as a keyboard. And it's fine in its other two orientations, as a more-vertical stand Apple says is for "viewing." And it's fine as a screen cover.
But it lacks any low-level tilt capability. (Believe me, I've tried every way to fold it.) For drawing, you want a little slant up from the table, but not too much.

One easy way to achieve this is to separate the magnetic catch that holds the iPad Pro in a typing position without separating it from the cover entirely. You can then pull the iPad Pro over the keyboard, and put something in the triangle the case makes to keep the case from collapsing all the way flat.
I tried various things: a rolled up washcloth, rolled up thin craft foam, etc. Then I found the perfect thing: 1½ inch diameter backer rod for concrete caulking work. This is very light, soft, closed-cell foam used in construction. It comes in many diameters, so if you want less slant, you could try 1 inch diameter. It's easy to cut to length with a kitchen knife, and is completely clean and non-shedding.

Here's a source by the piece:bestmaterials.com. It cost me about $8.00 for a six-foot piece. The local hardware stores only carry much smaller diameter backer rod.
Attachments
side2.jpg
side2.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
top.jpg
top.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
Steve Jobs