Battery life dropping fast

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
Cheryl Wolfer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Battery life dropping fast

Post by Cheryl Wolfer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:38 pm

It seems to me that my MacBook Air battery needs to be recharged much more often since the latest upgrade. However, this computer is approaching 5 years old so perhaps the battery just needs to be replaced? Is this a software or a hardware problem?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Battery life dropping fast

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:34 am

Have you changed anything that might keep the MacBook running more when it should be sleeping? I'd start with double checking System Preferences > Energy Saver. You could also set up a time when you can watch to see if it's going to sleep as expected.

Could there be a change in the software you normally use such that an app is actually doing something in the background?

Five years is a pretty long time for a laptop battery, so getting the battery replaced may be the solution.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Cheryl Wolfer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cheryl Wolfer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:44 am

Yes, I've done everything that is suggested to prolong battery life as far as my preferences settings go. I've noticed that the fan is running much more often as well and certain websites seem to trigger it to come on. I've been shutting the computer down completely every night and that seems to help with the fan problem. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new battery.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am

Hold down the option key, then click on the Apple at the far left of the menu bar. Choose System Information.
About ⅔ of the way down the Hardware section is Power. Choose Power. The top item is Battery information, including Health Information.

Depending on the model of MacBook Air you have, you may be able to do the battery replacement yourself. Here's one DIY guide.

Be sure to take the old battery to recycling. If you get it done at an Apple Store, they'll take care of recycling. (Probably also true if you have MacTraders or Dave Hannon do it.)

I replaced the battery in my MacBook Pro with an Anker battery I bought from Amazon. I have no reason to complain. I have opened MacBooks several times in the past. The key is to be sure you have the right tiny screwdriver(s) and be very, very careful to keep the screws in order so they go back in the right place. Helpful cats are your enemy in this case.
Steve Jobs

Cheryl Wolfer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cheryl Wolfer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Hey, I figured this out!!! I went to the activity monitor and found that two files were monopolizing my CPU -- callservicesd and soagent. I found this link http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/con ... d.1894835/ that describes the fix for the problem. Go to System Preferences, Internet Accounts and uncheck contacts for your Google Apps accounts. CPU usage down to practically zero. Yay! :D The thread above also provides a fix if you want to keep your contacts synced. Maybe my battery is good for a few more years yet.

PS: I appreciate the DIY guide. Might even try something like that when the time comes. Thanks!

Cheryl Wolfer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cheryl Wolfer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:00 pm

I am pleased to report that my computer is back to normal. The contact syncing was definitely the problem. Hope someone else can profit from my experience!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:03 am

I'm glad you found the culprit. And thanks for posting. The information might help others.

I see a pretty constant stream of comments on Macintouch about problems with Apple Mail and Gmail. I guess if something odd is going on with a Mac, first take a look at Google stuff.
Steve Jobs