iPad Weights

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

iPad Weights

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:51 am

Just in case you were wondering about how weights of iPads compare, I put together the following table:
;)
Attachments
iPad Weights.png
iPad Weights.png (52.48 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Weights

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Illuminating. Would it be easy to add diagonal image sizes or square inches? I think you get 0.63 pounds worth of screen real estate in the iPad Pro.

Total Pixels would be interesting too. The iPad Pro has more pixels than the similar sized MacBook Pro. Pixels per pound.

I haven't felt any desire to upgrade our iPad 4, until now. At this point, it's just a desire, not an action plan, but the Apple Pencil is singing a siren's song. I want to see someone using it with that scritchy, scritchy motion to build up a line of many tiny movements, like people (well, artists) actually do with pencils, and even ink pens. This may be one of those Apple things where they waited for the technology to catch up with their demands for near perfection.

Here's one table with pixels per inch for some Apple devices:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:04 am

The Pro is an incredible device and its weight is irrelevant. I've always held my iPads in my lap or on occassion placed them on a desk or table. The desktop size and clarity of image on the Pro is something to behold.

As for the Apple pencil, I think that will appeal to artists more than most.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:29 am

I want to see someone using it with that scritchy, scritchy motion to build up a line of many tiny movements, like people (well, artists) actually do with pencils, and even ink pens.
The movie narrated by Jony Ive does show this pretty convincingly:

http://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:51 pm

So if I did this right, the iPad Pro weighs 0.00000028 pounds per pixel.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm

The Pro is an incredible device and its weight is irrelevant. I've always held my iPads in my lap or on occassion placed them on a desk or table. The desktop size and clarity of image on the Pro is something to behold.

Now that I've used it for a few days, I would go in a slightly different direction: the weight isn't too much. I notice it, especially when holding it up in front of me, not in my lap. But it's not excessive. (See below for a special deal.)
The screen is beautiful, and even without the keyboard case, the extra size of the on-screen keyboard might cross a useful threshold. You have a whole number row, for example.

Our iPad 4 couldn't use the new split-screen features of iOS 9, and those will be useful, along with the ability to turn the on-screen keyboard into a trackpad.

As for the Apple pencil, I think that will appeal to artists more than most.
Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by "artists." I can imagine a lot of uses short of art for the pencil. This just might be a breakthrough system for tracing from photos, something I plan to use it for. Also annotating photos ("twenty-seven 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows..."). This review emphasizes how natural the Pencil feels in use:
http://www.imore.com/ipad-pro-experimen ... ge-my-life

Back when dinosaurs ruled walked the earth, I did a lot of camera lucida drawings of stuff under a microscope. The Apple Pencil would be excellent for that, for example.
It also allows the iPad to whup Wacom with a bamboo paddle using this relatively inexpensive software, though as I wrote there, maybe there's little need to draw directly into Photoshop running on a Mac.

* A few years ago, I needed a couple of plate holders, the kind used to keep display plates up near vertical. They're wire with hinges and plastic coating on all the parts that touch the plate. They're also used in book stores. The only ones I found came in bulk. So I have many more than I'll ever need. They also work great for holding an iPad up near vertical for reading. If a SMUG member wants one, I'll be happy to share.
In the image below, my iPad Pro is showing an image of our little outdoor Christmas tree after the recent snow. It's sitting on a buffet with a couple of framed images behind it and a gift from our grand daughter (the candle-jar).
Attachments
holder.jpg
holder.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 pm

And, the iPad Pro is thinner than my iPhone 6s, albeit by only a tiny bit:

iPad Pro: 6.9 mm thick (0.27 in)
iPhone 6s: 7.1 mm thick (0.28 in)
iPhone 6: 6.9 mm thick (0.27 in)

That's about a hairsbreadth more for the iPhone 6s. As it's the same difference between the 6 and the 6s, it could be because of the pressure-sensitive layer in the 6s.
Steve Jobs