PDP 8e Simulator for Mac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

PDP 8e Simulator for Mac

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:42 am

I saw this on Macintouch:
PDP-8/E Simulator, from Bernhard Baehr, emulates the classic Digital Equipment PDP-8/E minicomputer with software that runs on a Mac. Features include a "comfortable user interface" for running, writing and debugging PDP-8 software; viewing and editing memory; breakpoints, single step execution, and a trace mode; a plug-in API; a programmer's console; a virtual TSC8-75 board to run the ETOS time sharing OS; an ASR 33 Console Teletype, ASR 33 Auxiliary Teletype, PC8-E High Speed Paper Tape Reader and Punch, a RK8-E Disk Cartridge System and more.
PDP-8/E Simulator is free, open-source software for PowerPC and Intel Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 and up.

Benchmarks show that the PDP-8/E Simulator outperforms a hardware PDP-8/E in orders of magnitude when running on reasonable current Macs. There are options to slow down the CPU and the I/O devices to the speed of the real hardware.
Here's my PDP 8e at the University of Washington Regional Primate Center. You think today's rat's nests of wires are a mess!

I actually used the programming language Focal to program a version of the pen and pencil game variously known as Moo, Cows and Bulls and (as a plastic board game) Mastermind.
Attachments
workstation.jpg
workstation.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: PDP 8e Simulator for Mac

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Tell us more about Focal. That's a new one on me.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Tell us more about Focal. That's a new one on me.
All I have to say about that is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOCAL_(pr ... _language)

Feature:
The Coca-Cola Corporation used a customized version of FOCAL called COKE.
Is this a put-on, or real?
Jolt is a cardboard cut-out of a Coke: a higher-order, functional abstract syntax processor and assembler. It is included in the idst5.4 distribution in the 'examples/jolt' directory. The main difference between Jolt and Coke is in the back-end: Coke's back-end is written in Pepsi/Coke whereas Jolt avoids the problem by using the VPU as a portable back-end.

http://piumarta.com/software/cola/coke.html

Seriously, you think I can remember details that far back in my past? Or even understand the above articles? You probably need to talk to Rick Johnston, who, you know, actually knows something. ;)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:18 pm

After asking you about Focal I did a search and found the same Wikipedia article you mention. Interesting. I worked a lot in FORTRAN and could do some basic things in COBOL but I wouldn't know where to begin in either if you asked me to. Time marches on.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.