iCloud

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

MobileMe-->iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:54 pm

From Macintouch 06 07 11:

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am

Of course, you won't keep everything in the cloud. Apple's not going to remove hard drives from Macs or remove flash memory from iDevices. Cloud storage will merely let you get to files you need when you need them, sort of like connecting to your Mac on a LAN, but from anywhere.

One thing left unmentioned by Apple is what will happen to iWeb. Though it fills only one particular web-publishing niche, iWeb is in widespread use.

For the matter of that, Apple really didn't detail what will happen to all the various parts of MobileMe. My guess is that they will all continue, just folded into iCloud.

A scan of the Apple pages on iCloud did turn up a couple of details:
1. 5 GB free. That's compared with 20 GB we now have for a MobileMe family pack
2. iTunes 24.99/year charge

So it remains to be seen what the total cost of replacing MobileMe in July 2012 will be.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:01 am

Apple's posted a FAQ on iCloud.
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

The loss of iWeb publishing will be a big deal to some, but you can use iWeb to publish to any server, for example the free server space all ISPs provide. No word yet from Apple on whether iWeb will be developed any more. There are a lot of good things about iWeb, and a lot of very frustrating things. And there are many low-level web publishing apps available.

The loss of web gallery is the most puzzling thing to me. Pushing to web gallery is built into the iPhone. I guess PhotoStream is the replacement. I'm not sure how that will work, though.

The loss of iDisk (and the very handy ability to use iDisk like an ftp server for large files) will be a loss. Maybe it'll be replaced by Documents in the Cloud.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:23 pm

For sharing files with others there's always Dropbox. It has a public folder just like iDisk and you can even password protect the files in Dropbox if you want to. The basic account is free and has always been large enough for my needs (2GB). Larger storage options are available for a fee.

One of the big concerns for me and other MobileMe subscribers was whether or not iCloud would offer the same backup options as does MobileMe. Although details have not been released yet, Apple has unequivocally stated that iCloud will include backup services. This is a good thing.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I think one of the main things I might have used Dropbox for will be in Documents in the Cloud: syncing certain documents between my Mac and my iPhone. It remains to be seen if those can be password protected documents, but I'd be willing to bet they will.

Note that we now have Pages on the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone.
Steve Jobs