Totally puzzling!! Ideas?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Totally puzzling!! Ideas?

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:22 am

OK you Mac gurus.... Here's a poser for you. I'm helping one of our club members with his Mac. I wanted to set his Finder so that when he clicked on the Finder smiley face in the Dock... that a new Finder window would open showing his "House" with all his files. I've gone to Finder Preferences and set it so that the "House" will be opened when a "New Finder Window" is created. But here's the weirdness..... When we click the little smiley face, instead of the "House" with all his files being displayed.... instead it opens his "Documents" folder. Interestingly, if you hold the mouse down (right click) on the Dock smiley face, the pop-down menu for "New Finder Window" appears and if you release it... the little "House" window quickly appears. But clicking the smiley face only opens "Documents." WTF??? I've clicked and unclicked it a hundred times. Ran Disk Utility, repaired permissions, ran Disk Warrior to ensure that no little glitches were involved. The bad behavior still persists. Cannot figure this out and have never seen this before.

For what it's worth... this is a brand new iMac running Yosemite with 8 Gb of RAM and lots of disk space available. Nice new machine in good order. The machine does have Parallels 10 but I did not use it and it was not running so far as I know. Got any ideas on this weirdness? Let me know!!

Barbara
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Totally puzzling!! Ideas?

Post by Barbara » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi, Jerry.....in my Finder Preferences, General, there are options for New Finder Windows and how you want them to open.
I'm running on OS 10.6.8, but I would think that later versions still have this option.

Is this a solution?

B

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:54 pm

The problem is that the Finder Preferences item is not working........

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:33 pm

A new Finder window will open as the last Finder window closed. So open a Finder window, choose the view you want to see, then close that Finder window. The next time you click on the Finder icon in the Dock, if no Finder window is open, a new window will appear with the settings of the window you last closed.

This can be a problem if you open two Finder windows--for example to drag a file from one window to another, and close the "temporary" window last.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:16 am

This just has not been working. No matter what windows were open in the previous session, clicking on the smiley-face Finder icon in the Dock will open only the Documents folder. Never the "Home" finder window. Clearly it's not working. But the question is... how to fix it.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Any unusual apps on this Mac that might cause this issue? Some app connected to the Finder?
Anything suspect in Login items?
 > System Preferences... > Users & Groups | Login Items

Suggest your next course of action is to create a new account and see if the issue pops up there – or trash the Finder prefs. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 pm

OK, I've got an idea.
Have you tried clicking on Mission Control to show all windows? I'm thinking that there might be a Documents Finder window off screen for some reason. You've Finder set to open new windows with Home, so that's why a new window has Home. (Presumably Command N would do the same.) But when you click on the picasso Finder icon, you're not opening a new window, necessarily, you're switching to the Finder.

I always use Column view, so it doesn't really matter how a new window opens.

You can also set up the Sidebar with home in it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Great ideas Jay and Stephen! Thanks for both of these suggestions. I'll try 'em and let you know what I find.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:26 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:OK, I've got an idea.
Have you tried clicking on Mission Control to show all windows? I'm thinking that there might be a Documents Finder window off screen for some reason. You've Finder set to open new windows with Home, so that's why a new window has Home. (Presumably Command N would do the same.) But when you click on the picasso Finder icon, you're not opening a new window, necessarily, you're switching to the Finder.
Good thinking, could be a finder window hidden under the dock.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Isn't there also a Dock items plist somewhere?