Custom Mailbox

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Custom Mailbox

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:35 pm

How do I create a custom mailbox within Mail for my olypen account, as opposed to my icloud account? I tried to follow the instruction manual directions which says to, "Tap edit in the mailboxes list to create a new one, or rename or delete one." I hit edit and get a list of mailboxes, but nothing that lets me create a custom name. How do I create a new one? I am using iOS 9.0.2 on an iPad Air 2.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Custom Mailbox

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:20 am

Maybe you just have to scroll to see the "Add Mailbox" option. (see screenshot)
;)
Attachments
Add Mailbox.png
Add Mailbox.png (204.35 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:42 am

I have been here. I click "Add Mail" but that only adds the mailboxes I have selected above, in the bubbles: nothing comes up to allow me rename or add a custom named mailbox.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:40 am

Custom mailboxes cannot be created in the iPad Mail app using iOS9.

However, you can use the VIP mailbox to automatically show all emails from certain contacts, like family members or close friends. To do that just click the small circle with the letter i and then click Edit.

The Mail app on your Mac does have the option of creating custom mailboxes and smart mailboxes, if that would help.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks Ray for your help. I sort of arrived at this same conclusion. Having said that, the quote in my first post is taken directly from the iPad manual (on-line) for iOS 9, put out by Apple support. It says I can CREATE a new one (mailbox). This is under the heading of "Organize your mail with mailboxes". It also states, "Some built-in mailboxes can't be changed". That's ok. I just want to create a new one with a custom name.

Yes, as you say, I have done this in my Mail on my MacBook Pro. That is part of the reason I want to do it on the iPad and iPhone. My MBP doesn't synch with my iPad or iPhone because it is too old and I can't upgrade beyond 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.

I think I just found the key for why the manual says you can do this, but I can't make it work. It works in my iCloud mail account. When I go there, in the top right corner I get Edit. From there, the next screen, in the bottom right corner I get New Mailbox. Go there and get a keyboard and prompt to type a name. I did and hit save, top right corner, and it put my new CUSTOM named mailbox in my list of mailboxes for iCloud. It won't do this for my Olypen account. When I go to the mailbox window for Olypen I do not get an Edit in the top right corner-so I come to a dead stop.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Maybe you know about this already, but here's an old (iOS 7) instruction page for what you want to do:

http://www.cultofmac.com/265299/add-mai ... -ios-tips/

I don't use iOS for mail except for my iCloud address, but I can get as far as Edit > Add Mailbox on my iPad (and iPhone).
Also, in addition to Add Mailbox..., there's a button for New Mailbox way at the bottom.
Attachments
newmailbox.jpg
newmailbox.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs