iMessage 'phone number not registered'

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
hampsessions
Forum Member
Forum Member

iMessage 'phone number not registered'

Post by hampsessions » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:43 am

I'm using the latest version of Mac software Yosemite 10.10.5 and the latest ios updates on iphone and ipad. Until the last few weeks if a message was sent to me on iMessage it would appear on all devices, but does not now and I can't figure out why.
The other problem I'm having is when I go to send a message to someone in my contacts (google contacts is my listed preference in iMessages) sometimes it sends and other times it gives a message 'phone number (of person I'm sending to) is not registered in iMessage' eventhough that persons number comes up automatically when I type their name in 'compose' in iMessage.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy these situations?
thanks,
Hamp Sessions

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iMessage 'phone number not registered'

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:33 am

I rarely use text messages, but I'd start by carefully checking Settings > Messages in iOS. Maybe a setting there got changed. If you don't understand one or more of the settings (I don't) then look up the setting.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

hampsessions
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hampsessions » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 am

Thanks, I'll do that again.

hampsessions
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hampsessions » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:10 am

I checked all the settings, changed some, but still don't get my imessage messages on imac or macair or ipad unless I send them with my phone to myself, then it appears.
Also still getting the "Message could not be sent..(phone number I was trying to send to) is not registered with iMessage.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Googling "Message could not be sent.. is not registered with iMessage" brings up a number of hits with some suggestions. You might also try "is not registered with iMessage." Maybe slogging through some of those might turn up a clue.

It sounds like iOS may not be defaulting to SMS when iMessage at the other end is not available.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs