Mail Problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Mail Problem

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:05 am

Have you tried sending from a different email address?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:07 am

Jay Cline wrote:Have you tried sending from a different email address?
Yes, and that doesn't work.

I just tried sending out a plain vanilla email from Mail and it wouldn't go even though they have since the problem began. I had to go into iCloud.com and use the webmail app which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The most maddening part of all this is the inconsistency. Just about the time I figure out what works and what doesn't it all changes. Sometimes Mail works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the iCloud webmail works and sometimes it doesn't. Intermittent problems are virtually impossible to fix.

Oh, I contacted my ISP's tech support people with a detailed email about the problem and all they did was send me out a prewritten response which really has nothing to do with what I'm going through.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:37 am

Uh oooooh. Why am I so slow? I have an account on my wife's iMac so I took a thumb drive full of files to it, logged on to my account and started sending files right and left without a hitch. Everything worked just as it's supposed to work. I couldn't duplicate my email issues even once.

If it's a hardware problem on my Macbook I have AppleCare but that's pretty far fetched. Now I'm thinking it's a Mail support file that's corrupted. It's not Mail itself because I've already reloaded the OS which would include Mail. And the fact that my other mail program, Airmail which had the same problems sending mail must be using some of Mail's support files.

So where do I find all the support files for Mail like the preferences files so I can delete them and make Mail rewrite them. Or does that sound like disaster? The last thing I want to do is to reformat the hard drive and have to load all my programs and personal files back on.

What a mess!
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:38 am

You've tried sending from different accounts, different ISP's, different computers. It happens when you send to one email address or dozens. What is the one common factor?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:52 am

Jay Cline wrote:You've tried sending from different accounts, different ISP's, different computers. It happens when you send to one email address or dozens. What is the one common factor?
The common factor is my Macbook. No problems with my wife's iMac. That's why I'm thinking I have some corrupted files that are necessary to make Mail work.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:25 pm

I thought I read that you used a webmail account and had the same issues. That would have bypassed Apple mail.
-----------------

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:58 pm

The common factor is my Macbook. No problems with my wife's iMac. That's why I'm thinking I have some corrupted files that are necessary to make Mail work.
Wait. Are they connected to your DSL box differently? If you use SpeedTest or something similar do you get the same results from both Macs?

But didn't you also say that you tried your MacBook from a different location?

This all seems very confusing.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Jay Cline wrote:I thought I read that you used a webmail account and had the same issues. That would have bypassed Apple mail.
That's correct. You see why it' so darn confusing? But on my wife's iMac I have no problems.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Wait. Are they connected to your DSL box differently? If you use SpeedTest or something similar do you get the same results from both Macs?

But didn't you also say that you tried your MacBook from a different location?

This all seems very confusing.
We both connect wirelessly.

Yes, I tried the MacBook at two different locations in PA.

Yes, it's very confusing. And as Jay Cline just reminded me I have the same problems with iCloud webmail suggesting it isn't a problem with corrupted files on my MacBook but a problem with my ISP or with the iCloud mail server.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:17 pm

When you used your wife's computer (and it worked) were you using her email address or the same one that has the problem? After discussing this with our son he suggested that your email address might have been flagged as spam by an SMTP server. You can test it by signing up for a Gmail account or just create an alias in your .Mac account. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2622?locale=en_US
Grasping here Richard.
Last edited by Jay Cline on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------