PDF

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Henry Rhodes
Forum Member
Forum Member

PDF

Post by Henry Rhodes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 pm

My browsers, Safari or Firefox, never open PDF files. I am on the web page and a file is highlighted and I click on it and it opens a blank PDF page, always. I think maybe I don't have the right plugins but I don't know how to check or where to find them or how to get them. Help, please. :?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: PDF

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Have you ever been able to view pdfs inline? Is this a new computer?
Suggest you click on a pdf download on a webpage and see if you can do a save as under the file menu. You should be prompted to save your pdf. Are you able to view that saved pdf in Acrobat?
Last edited by Jay Cline on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Two things:

1. A lot of web sites set up download links so that they simultaneously start a download and present a blank page. That's a byproduct of a common mistake in setting up the download link. I suggest you check your designated download folder. You might have to check in the browser to see what that folder is.

2. You can pretty much always control click (right click) on the download link and get a contextual menu letting you choose Download (to your default download location) or Download As (you pick the location). See below.

If you want to experiment, try this page:
http://tintin.eugraph.com/tqsect/feature/maced.html
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Do your browsers open files of other file types? And if so -- where do the actual files appear after you close them? For many folks, this location will by default be in a "Downloads" folder.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 am

If you open the Downloads window in Safari (Window > Downloads) it will list all of your recent downloads, newest at the bottom. If you see your PDF file there, you can click on the spyglass icon and it will take you to it in the Finder. Or you can just double click on the name and it will open, probably in Apple Preview.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:50 am

The Safari Downloads window only shows recent downloads if you haven't cleared the window with the Clear button on the bottom of the window. The Downloads window can also be set to automatically clear after successful downloads.
Don't confuse the Safari Downloads window with the Downloads folder, a default folder in Snow Leopard installs. It's one folder with a special icon. You can, of course, set any folder for Safari to download to.
See below to find out where Safari is putting your downloads: Safari > Preferences > General
Attachments
downloads.jpg
downloads.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am

When you put your cursor over the PDF file you're interested in, just right-click the file and select Open in Preview. After that you can save it to any place on your Mac if that's what you want to do.

I don't like looking at PDFs in a browser. You're limited as to what you can do. Preview is a lot better viewer for PDFs.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 am

I just re-read the original post and note that Henry says he gets a blank open document window. So there IS the possibility that Acrobat Reader itself or the Reader plug-in is corrupted and wants to be reinstalled. That is, of course, a free download from adobe.com. But Henry we need to hear from you to learn what's going on!

Henry Rhodes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Henry Rhodes » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm

So, the answer is: when the blank pdf page opens, I can save it to the desktop and then open it with adobe reader. Once upon a time, I didn't have to do this; the page would open in the browser. I don't know what's changed. Sorry, guys, no free hugs this time.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 pm

These are troubleshooting steps. Give us another chance.
Last edited by Jay Cline on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.