Mail Problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mail Problem

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:FWIW, here's an older post showing a method to get the group into the right field.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5497842?tstart=0

In Yosemite Mail, the contacts button is a little blue plus in a circle in the upper right corner.

Did you add any addresses between your last successful Bcc send and this time?

I did a little casual searching and couldn't find anything exactly like this problem.
Did I add any addresses to the group since the last successful Bcc: message? Yes.

Those posters in the link you have sure like to do things the hard way. I just put the cursor in the Bcc: field (but now the Cc: field) and type in the name of the group. No muss, no fuss.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:33 pm

I was going to suggest you use your wife's computer to send those emails but if you can't send email to her then that test seems to be unnecessary.

Have you checked your email settings?
type in your email address here:
https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Jay Cline wrote:I was going to suggest you use your wife's computer to send those emails but if you can't send email to her then that test seems to be unnecessary.

Have you checked your email settings?
type in your email address here:
https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/
Everything's OK on this end.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 am

I wonder if you've been flagged as a spammer.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 am

I did it. I reloaded the Mac OS last night and this morning things worked as they should until I tried to send a private message to just one person in that group of 79. Again, the blue bar went across and the message dropped into my SENT folder but my copy never arrived. Then I went to the iCloud webmail program and had the same problem. The message shows that it was sent but I don't get my copy suggesting it really wasn't sent.

Next I did something I should have done days ago. I logged off my account and went into my Guest account, an account I've never used before. It doesn't get more pristine than that. I didn't want to set up my personal account in Mail so I opened Safari and went directly to the iCloud webmail program. AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD WHEN LOGGED IN TO MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT!

Other recipients are getting email just not this one person. Her mailbox is a @juno.com box which still has dialup service although I don't know if she uses dialup. Why would just one recipient be causing these problems? It must have something to do with her account otherwise why would the email not be delivered to either of us even in the Mac Guest account?

This is baffling.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:09 am

Does Mail connection doctor/show detail give you any hints what the problem might be when sending an email to that juno address?
-----------------

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 am

Jay Cline wrote:Does Mail connection doctor/show detail give you any hints what the problem might be when sending an email to that juno address?
No, nothing.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am

So I've got my iPad in my lap and I'm thinking why not try to send an email to that lady with the @juno.com account using my iPad? It will tell me something about my Mac one way or another. I constructed a brief message and Cc:d myself and sent it. You guessed it, the message showed up in my iPad's Mail SENT folder but I never got my copy in my INBOX. I called her and she didn't get it nor has she received any of the earlier attempts to send her email.

So this tells me the problem isn't hardware specific. My Macbook is OK. My iPad is also OK. Since I can now send and receive email to/from all my other contacts it has to be something about her @juno.com account. I went through my entire contacts list and she's the only @juno.com recipient I have.

Another possibility is that she uses an email filter that only lets mail through that she has already identified as being OK. All other email is blocked. But that doesn't explain why my copy isn't delivered to me.

I'm really tired of all this and am now ready to just let her know that I won't be able to email her for some reason and she'll have to get the information from someone else.

Correction! She's NOT the only @juno.com recipient I have in my Contacts nor is she the only @juno.com recipient in the Group that was causing me so much grief. The problem must be something about the way she has her email spam filters set up but I still don't understand why my Cc:d copy didn't arrive to me.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:40 pm

I would suggest that a spam filter somewhere is blacklisting your group e-mail for some reason. Maybe try phoning or e-mailing the support people at your ISP.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I would suggest that a spam filter somewhere is blacklisting your group e-mail for some reason. Maybe try phoning or e-mailing the support people at your ISP.
A reasonable suggestion but I really am tired of this problem. Maybe in a day or two.
---