linksys router

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

linksys router

Post by pattygraham » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I've been trying to reduce my cable bill and one way is to use my own router instead of renting theirs. they were using a linksys e2500 so I bought the exact same one at amazon. I have Maverick as my OS. apparently they don't support the os. When I inserted the start up cd they said they didn't support my os. Ive done some research and I can't change my password or anything. What Id like to know is what wifi router should I get without braking the bank. Thanks

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: linksys router

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am

I'm out of my depth here, but hardware often comes with a disk or software that's Windows only, or not updated for a new OS X version (that seems to be the case here). But you often don't need the software.

Most routers these days are accessed (for settings) by way of a web browser.

If you google "linksys e2500 setup mac os x," you'll find lots of hits.

Here's an example: https://garrickvanburen.com/archive/how ... -mac-os-x/
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:52 am

Apple equipment will work just fine with non-Apple routers but the manufacturer of the non-Apple router has to make setup of the router compatible with the Apple OS. Rather than waste a lot of time and hair pulling just pony up the money and get the Apple Airport. Yes, it'll cost more than many 3rd party routers but it's easy as 1-2-3 to set up and the hardware is top of the line.

I've used Linksys and Netgear routers with success but after switching to the Apple Airport after the iPad 1 was introduced I'll never mess with a 3rd party router again. Remember, these routers last for years so it's not like you'll have to replace it every 12 months or so. Just get the Apple Airport and get on with what's important to you.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pattygraham » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Thank you so much. I just went to Walmart in Sequim. I got a apple apple airport express for 60 bucks. They are discontinuing the apple so they had a discount. They only have one left. Like you said it was as easy as 123. Thank you.