Apple Music - coming June 30

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Apple Music - coming June 30

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 pm

From Apple:
Apple Music is a single, intuitive app that combines the best ways to enjoy music—all in one place. It’s a revolutionary streaming music service, a pioneering worldwide live radio station from Apple broadcasting 24 hours a day, and a great new way for music fans to connect with their favorite artists. Apple Music is integrated into the Music app on iOS devices, in iTunes on Mac and PC, and will soon be available for download as a separate app in the Google Play Store. As a member, you get the entire Apple Music experience on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC. And Apple Music is coming to Apple TV and Android smartphones this fall.

System Requirements
iOS 8.4, iTunes 12.2, or Android 4.1 or later

Membership
Apple Music members can play the full Apple Music library, get expert recommendations, Apple’s take on the best new music, and unlimited radio.
Starting June 30, music fans are invited to a free 3-month trial membership.1 Single membership - $9.99/month (U.S.)
Family membership - $14.99/month (U.S.) for up to six family members

Features
• Wherever your music comes from— purchased in the iTunes Store, ripped CDs, or your favorite music blog—it’s all in one place.
• You also have access to millions of songs in the ever-expanding Apple Music library.
• As a member, you can stream any song, album, or playlist immediately. Or download it to take it with you offline.
• A personal mix of albums and playlists handpicked by our music experts is available in the For You section.
• Use Siri on your iOS device to find and enjoy more great music.
• The iTunes Store is still the best place to buy your favorite music.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple Music - coming June 30

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Apparently when iOS 9 is released, the total number of songs you can have in iTunes Match will rise to 100,000. It's currently 25,000.
Apple Music will work like iTunes Match in matching any songs you own if they're in the iTunes catalog, and uploading any songs that aren't in the catalog.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 pm

According to this article, the current 25,000-song limit on library size is for songs that are not in the iTunes Store catalog.
That is to say you can have up to 25,000 songs uploaded currently with iTunes Match (100,000 in the fall with iOS 9).
Songs that are matched don't count.

I hadn't understood that before.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:00 am

This article is the best I've seen so far to explain Apple Music. iTunes Match functionality will be included in Apple Music. And I think you get the Beats 1 24-hour radio station. If you up the ante and pay $10/month for Apple Music, you can also stream (and download) any song in the Apple Music catalog without buying it separately. I can see the utility of that, as I've bought a dozen or so songs (at $2 a pop) just because I want to hear the whole thing.
The Apple Music catalog is not the same as the iTunes Store catalog, but Apple's working on that.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:03 am

At one point, after some study, I decided that Family Sharing isn't what we want. But now Apple Music gives you several accounts for $15/month if all users are on Family Sharing.

Has anyone seen a good explanation of what you lose with Family Sharing?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Here's a little more from Walter Mossberg, who used to write for The New York Times.
And this article clearly states that you can download from the Apple Music catalog, but only DRM-hobbled songs:

As far as I can see iTunes Match remains intact with all the rights and privileges pertaining thereto. (As long as you keep paying $25/year.) [Added later: That's because you've paid for all the tracks in iTunes Match. Or at least Apple assumes that.]
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:20 pm

As is usual with trial subscriptions from any company, Apple Music's trial is set by default to auto-renew 90 days after you sign up.

If you know you don't want to renew, or aren't sure, here are two straightforeard ways to cope, one of them foolproof:

How to disable Apple Music's automatic renewal

And just in case anyone thinks I'm advertising Apple Music, I'm sticking with iTunes Match. I have no dog in this fight.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Here are a couple of weird observations related to the debut of Apple Music.

In iOS 8.4, the Music app has been revamped. But what's missing, as far as I've been able to tell, is any way in Music to search the iTunes Store (search for a song title). Those searches serve two prime purposes: 1. Hear a snippet of a song that you want to remember, or check on. That's primarily a service to the user. I don't see any alternative to this feature in Music. 2. Buy a song. That used to be Apple's main goal.

Now you can still do both in the iTunes Store app, but that means leaving Music and searching in a different app. Has Apple really switched to streaming music to the extent that they want to make it harder to buy songs or albums? Or maybe there's some growth in Music.app still in the wings. Or maybe I just missed something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were setting up to play a track from my wife's iPhone via AirPlay for an event we're planning. She made a playlist and put the track in it to make it easy to find. Then I could find no way to force iTunes Match to update and upload the track (used to be Store>Update iTunes Match). The next day, I find that the command has changed. Now it's iTunes > File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.
On her iMac, that command causes an activity icon to turn around, but the particular song is still listed as "Waiting." That's also the case on my iMac and my iPhone.

Maybe it's this particular track, which is a compilation from a privately recorded tape.
But even so, there should be a way to get a single song into iTunes on an iPhone.

(As an alternative, we found that an alternative is to use Dropbox, where the song syncs and plays perfectly.)
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:16 pm

ITunes/Music.app Radio, get it while you can.

Apple's going to fold the Radio section--available in iTunes or the iOS Music app--into the subscription-only Apple Music. The service, not to be confused with Internet Radio, was free with ads, or free without ads for iTunes Match customers. The deadline is the end of this month.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/ ... am-product
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:20 am

I signed up for the Apple Music 3-month trial and have been listening a bit every day.

Recently I completed some repairs and upgrades to our living room speakers, wall-rattling Speakerlab K horns from the early 70s. So I did a listening test. I chose the first side of a later Joni Mitchell album, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. It's in her jazzy, experimental phase musically, but the recorded sound is excellent, and it features voice, acoustic guitar, lots of drums and deep electric bass, so it makes a good sound test.

I listened to the whole first side streamed from Apple Music. The stream had to get to our DSL modem, then to our AirPort Extreme by ethernet, then to our iPad Pro by WiFi, then by WiFi to our AirPort Express, which is wired to our stereo receiver.
Next, I listened to the same side on a real record, played on a venerable AR XB turntable.

While I could probably pick out differences if I listened to specific passages in an A B comparison, and there were obvious ticks on the record, the Apple Music version sounded really good. The sound was not at all muddied, drums and bass were, well, percussive. The voices and acoustic guitar were clear and smooth. I was quite impressed.

Note that while picking an album on Apple Music gets you the identical music as the published album, Apple Music Radio is different. I've listened quite a bit to the Classic Rock station, and many of the songs are not the versions you are used to if you have the album. They're remastered or live cuts or something else. Of course, that's kind of the point of Apple Music Radio, to sell you cuts you don't have.
Steve Jobs