10.10.4 Download Glitch

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

10.10.4 Download Glitch

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:53 pm

I've never had problems with OS X updates, except for slow downloads. But this time the slow download is more like a complete fail.

After I read of the 10.10.4 update, App Store didn't list it, and checking for updates went on and on and on.
I waited overnight, and in the morning started downloading. After a few confusing messages (restart in 1 minute), I had three instances in recent downloads of 10.10.4, but it had not installed. Then, after several hours of downloading, my iMac restarted, went through one of the install screens, then just popped back to the Finder. No 10.10.4, no iTunes update. But, hey, I do have a fourth listing in App Store for 10.10.4 installed!

I'll wait to try again until tonight, when I can leave the two iMacs to putter away all night.

I suspect that once again, Apple is testing their servers. They set up a number of big downloads (GarageBand is a big one but I just can't wait to get a huge library of hip hop drum loops! :) ) and started up Apple Music, and their servers are failing to keep up.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: 10.10.4 Download Glitch

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 am

After letting App Store download overnight I woke to a message that OS X can't be verified. Then came an install screen that apparently aborted. Download automatically started again in App Store. (Previously I saw a message that iTunes can't be verified, and the same install screen that aborted.)

While my iMac did restart normally, I'm left with iTunes 12.1.2 not working at all.

It's not that App Store download is completely dysfunctional, GarageBand did download and install overnight.
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Both of my 10.10.4 updates completed with no issues. iTunes 12.2 also downloaded and installed on both my Macs without issue.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:55 pm

A third attempt did get iTunes updated but still showed OS X as "not verified."

I switched strategies and downloaded the combo updater. That worked perfectly with no issues except that it's a larger file, so took longer to download. But I can use the same file on two other Macs that I will update.
Using the combo updater is the classic fix for download or other issues with updates.

It's entirely possible that my 1.5 Mbps DSL was, in this instance, just too slow and that timeouts or other errors during download caused the problem.

This Apple Support thread discusses the issue.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:Both of my 10.10.4 updates completed with no issues. iTunes 12.2 also downloaded and installed on both my Macs without issue.

Ditto!
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Ditto!
I'll chalk it up to issues with my slow downloads. Not the first time I've had that problem.
Steve Jobs

8string
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by 8string » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 am

I had no problems with my 10.10.4 update on my iMac. I use Wave, download speeds are 50Mb. It's been wonderful having faster speeds at not much more money.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:13 am

8string wrote:I had no problems with my 10.10.4 update on my iMac. I use Wave, download speeds are 50Mb. It's been wonderful having faster speeds at not much more money.
As soon as Wave strings cable the 6 miles from town up here where there are about 30 houses, I'll sign up. Or as soon as Verizon extends the fiber line that last mile or so. Or CenturyLink puts in a new stinger where the fiber currently ends...
Even if Verizon beefed up their cell tower on Mt. Pleasant so we could get consistent LTE, we could get much better speeds with MiFi.
Steve Jobs