Printing--the strangest result!

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Printing--the strangest result!

Post by LGmus » Thu May 21, 2015 8:03 am

I recently printed some business cards using pages 5.5.3 template. Everything was fine, except I left out some information. So i reformatted and added a slogan in color and after making one module, copied that to the other slots. Although the pages version and the preview in the printing set up box look fine, when I print the end result leaves out one or more text boxes, inconsistently. In other words, seven cards are fine on the draft, 4 on the second attempt! And they are in different places!

I have an Epson WF 3640, also new, but have never had any problem before. Ink levels are fine.

before I start over, is there any easy explanation?
thanks

Lili Green

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Printing--the strangest result!

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Which template did you use?

I opened one template and it looked a bit complex.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by LGmus » Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi, Stephen,

I used the one called "modern" but added another text box (the one that didn't always print--coincidence?) and moved the other two around. also added our SCO logo in one box (the original could be separated into three, if i recall). Maybe one can't play around with the templates? I hate constraints!!!

Also had trouble automatically replicating to the other squares, which it should have done automatically.

thanks,
Lili

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 am

I'm not sure, but I think the problem you are seeing might be caused by the way Pages handles boxes with graphics or text boxes. If they overlap, you may hide the one behind. They also seem to jump around some. You might experiment with Format > Arrange > Object Placement and Text Wrap.

Here's what I did with no problem:

I duplicated one box, the logo, and moved it within one card (so there are now two logos).
I added a new text box to that card.
I added a new logo from a jpeg dragged onto the page. I then sized the logo.
I deleted one card.
I copied and pasted the modified card and dragged the duplicate to the empty spot. If you do one card at a time, you'll retain the alignment marks.

I would just start over with a new template. You can copy your changed or added elements from the template that doesn't work.

This is all pretty nonautomatic, but should work to get one template of cards. You can't, for example, build a single card template and then have it automatically duplicated and arranged for Avery 5331 stock. You have to copy and paste. You can make a row of two, then copy and paste them both, or a column of 5, then copy and paste those.

You probably wouldn't want to do this if you were making a dozen different templates. You might want a business card software for that. Business Card Composer 5, Belight Software is one.
Attachments
card.jpg
card.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Steve Jobs

LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by LGmus » Mon May 25, 2015 11:52 am

thanks for all the tips. I'll look into the software. & in the meantime will start over!
Lili

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 pm

The card is a joke, btw.
Steve Jobs