Photos

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Photos

Post by Mary Howard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 pm

What happened? I updated to 10.10.3, like a good kid, which changed me from iPhoto to Photos. Now my photo stream won't move from my iPhone 5S to my iMac. I even signed up for iCloud, which I didn't want, they still don't show up on my iMac. Help!
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Nothing should have changed because of 10.10.3.
Photos is an independent app that will happily coexist with iPhoto or Aperture. When you launch Photos, it will ask if you want to import your library. If you've already done that, the exact name of your old library will appear to be empty if you try to access it in iPhoto.
But not to worry. Photos appears to duplicate your library, but is actually making symlinks (or hard links some say) so you don't lose a lot of hard drive space.

I use Aperture, so my library, shared between Aperture and iPhoto is named for Aperture. What I ended up with after the Photos import is the following:

Aperture Library (This was the old name. If open in Aperture, it appears empty.)
Aperture Library 2 (A new name. If opened in Aperture, it's exactly the same as before the Photos import.)

Photos Library 2 (Appears empty in Photos.)
Photos Library (Has all my photos in the same folders as before. I haven't seen any discrepancies.)

So if you did ask Photos to import, all you need to do is:
1. Quit Photos
2. Quit iPhoto
3. Hold down option while you start up iPhoto. You'll get a dialog box asking which library to open. Choose the other one. (I can't be more specific because my setup is not the same as yours. iPhoto opens my Aperture Library 2 with no problems.)

If you don't want to use Photos at this time, make sure to quit it, then drag its icon way off the Dock.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Thank you, My photos finally showed up from my iPhone on my iMac. Don't know why it took nearly 5 hours but maybe the process will be quicker now that everything seems to be synced. Guess I will have to learn how to use photos now, I was just getting sort of used to iPhoto. Oh well, I don't do a lot of photo work. Thanks again. All is well.
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:06 am

In another thread, Richard Serkes noted that Apple's Photos servers seemed swamped with uploads.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:37 am

I used to be able to drag and drop photos from iPhoto onto the Photoshop icon in my dock. Doesn't appear to work with the new Photos app.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 am

Jay Cline wrote:I used to be able to drag and drop photos from iPhoto onto the Photoshop icon in my dock. Doesn't appear to work with the new Photos app.
Confirmed. You probably need to drop it on the desktop first. I'm pretty sure that happens in other apps as well.
And there doesn't seem to be a button for edit in external editor.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 am

My observation is that you CANNOT drag and/or drop photos from Photos onto the Desktop nor onto any other app. You have to "Export" them which is a PAIN in the rear. This is one of about 10000 problems that I have with this new, lame software. VERY disappointed!!! :twisted:

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:18 am

Stephen, you are a serious photographer. What is your current thought on a stable, full-featured photo app that can handle data base issues and that would be a reliable purchase for the long run? This Photos app is a pathetic joke.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:My observation is that you CANNOT drag and/or drop photos from Photos onto the Desktop nor onto any other app. You have to "Export" them which is a PAIN in the rear. This is one of about 10000 problems that I have with this new, lame software. VERY disappointed!!! :twisted:
I just tested this and it works almost the same way as Aperture does:
If you drag an image from the Photos window to the desktop, the result is not the original, but a compressed jpg. In Aperture, you have settings for this in preferences, but apparently not in Photos. (I guess we can all hope that the Photos Preferences Team are working hard right now.)
If you export an image in Aperture, you get to choose to export the original (or various compressed settings including raw) in submenus.
If you export an image in Photos, you get the same choices, but they're in a dialog box (you might have to click the reveal triangle), not a submenu.

Dragging directly from Photos to an app icon on the Dock doesn't seem to work (I tried Graphic Converter, Aperture and Preview.) Just to check, I can drag a song from an iTunes window directly to the Sound Studio icon in my Dock.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:Stephen, you are a serious photographer. What is your current thought on a stable, full-featured photo app that can handle data base issues and that would be a reliable purchase for the long run? This Photos app is a pathetic joke.
Well, some who have seen me on my knees on one of the easily accessible ONP trails peering at some insect on the ground might disagree about that "serious" part. :D

So, I've seen a lot of comments on Macintouch about Photos. (Some other venues report ecstasy, usually as compared to iPhoto.) Here are my current thoughts:

When Apple announced Photos, they said it was plugin-ready. So I expect we'll see some plugins at some point. Furthermore, I expect we'll see some maturation of core Photos features, as we've seen with iWork.

iPhoto and Aperture work fine in Yosemite. Maybe they won't work in the next OS X [Oxnard?] But we don't even know that Apple is planning another OS X update next fall. So I'm happy to stick with Aperture. Everything in it just works. If I were using iPhoto, that's what I'd stick with.

Adobe's Lightroom is another obvious choice. Recently, I paid for a year's worth of Adobe CC, so I can download Lightroom for free. And it's just been updated today.
But most of the good comment I've seen about Lightroom is that it can access some of the image-manipulation of Photoshop. But if you have Lightroom, you can also have Photoshop for only a little more. (Both are still available as stand-alone apps, without subscription. But act fast.) So I don't see that having some of Photoshop's image-manipulation features is that much of a big deal.

On the other hand, I do think that database features are a big deal. I have tons of information stored in Aperture's caption field, including lots of scientific names, etc. I also have important location information (both Aperture's "location" names and iPhone's GPS info) stored in Aperture. Also URLs.
I don't see any improvement in Photos as compared to Aperture on this score. Text find and replace would sell me on any product!
And what I've seen about Lightroom says nothing good about its database features.

Some people have recommended FileMaker as a way to have it all. But is there any way to integrate that with image manipulation or face recognition or location information? Don't know.
Attachments
knees.jpg
knees.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Steve Jobs