'Virus Found' message

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

'Virus Found' message

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 pm

The following message appeared on our screen when my wife was following a blog thread when the following message appeared on the screen:

http://macupdate.com-apple.me
VIRUS FOUND
The last website you visited has infected your Mac with a virus.
Press OK to begin the repair process.

I did not press 'OK', but closed Safari and the message went away.

Does anyone know what that is about; do I need to "repair" anything, or is the message bogus?

Thanks for your help.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: 'Virus Found' message

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:13 am

I don't know anything about the specific message you saw nor the specific attack you just received.... but there have not been any viable, active, Mac viruses in the wild for many many years. Moreover, no one on any of the many Mac websites has reported any such thing for many years. I would say you are 100% safe and did the right thing by simply closing that window. Recently, there have been quite a few different web-based attacks in which particular sites send you bogus web pages that can, at least temporarily, corrupt your web browser. Understand that they attack your browser rather than the computer itself. These can always (?) be cleared up by "resetting" the browser or getting rid of prefs files and cookies. They're annoying but not serious. I will let the other club members weigh in on this...

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:05 am

I experienced the same message awhile back. Like you, I just closed the window and have continued using the computer with no problems. I think it is a bogus (scam) message and if you follow the link it may deposit a piece of malware in your computer. Everything I have read about these messages says not to go there. I have wondered if you followed the link whether it would work on a MAC. I think they are designed for PC's. I am not brave enough to try it.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:41 am

Yes, just closing the pop-up window (if you can) is the right thing to do.
This kind of scam can range from trying to sell you "adware" like MacKeeper to trying to get you to download and run malware.

In some cases, Safari may not respond to attempts to close the window. Using Force Quit should usually work, though.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs