Slow Photos Upload To iCloud

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Slow Photos Upload To iCloud

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:58 am

Now that Photos is out for Mac I'm going to send all my photos to the iCloud for storage and iDevice availability. The problem is the upload speed I have on my DSL service. I upload at about 0.80Mbps which is slow but it's all I have. Photos said I had a little over 2,300 photos to upload so I figured a few hours would do it. It's been about a day now and the blue bar has moved 20% at most. At this rate it's going to take several days to finish uploading the photos from my Mac to the iCloud.

This is just a heads up for others with limited I'Net speeds. If you're going to use the iCloud for storage and sharing and have a large number of photos then be patient, let it run in the background and don't expect things to be finished for quite some time.

Update! I just read an article on Mac News Network and it addressed this slow to upload issue. Part of the problem is everyone is uploading at the same time after getting the new version of Photos. MacNN recommends waiting a week or so before doing the upload. Terrific. Now they tell me.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Slow Photos Upload To iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 am

I still haven't figured out how to deal with this, whether from Aperture or Photos.
I might like to have a master set of photos I'd like on my devices. Not all need to be resident on the devices.
I might like to have a set that other people can access.
There's no way I'd upload all 50,000 + of my photos.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:29 am

Stephen Hart wrote:I still haven't figured out how to deal with this, whether from Aperture or Photos.
I might like to have a master set of photos I'd like on my devices. Not all need to be resident on the devices.
And think of the cost for the storage. I had too many photos to fit in my free 5G allocation so I had to upgrade to the next level of 20G which costs $0.99/month. I can handle that.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:39 am

Well, at 12:37PM (4/9/15) I noticed that Photos had closed itself. I've been leaving it running in the background for the super slow upload to happen. When I opened Photos and checked on the progress bar there was no blue line. Could it be that all my photos were finally uploaded? No, because I went to iCloud and opened Photos there and all I had were empty albums. I also received a message saying iCloud Photos had timed out. I logged out of iCloud and tried to get back in but couldn't.

I think I jumped the gun on trying to upload my photos. The Apple server must be getting slammed. I'm in no rush so I'll wait until next week some time and try again.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:I still haven't figured out how to deal with this, whether from Aperture or Photos.
And think of the cost for the storage. I had too many photos to fit in my free 5G allocation so I had to upgrade to the next level of 20G which costs $0.99/month. I can handle that.
We have 20GB already. But my photo library is almost 400 GB.

I'll probably get my nose to the grindstone at some point and figure this all out. We also have our own domain, which we can post slideshows to.
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I'll probably get my nose to the grindstone at some point and figure this all out. We also have our own domain, which we can post slideshows to.
Stephen, you may want to consider the latest Take Control text: http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/photos-crash-course

Below is a sample page that suggests multiple libraries for your situation.

Note the last bullet point at the bottom of the second column. So, put all those bug photos in a separate library!!

;)
Attachments
Multiple Libraries.png
Multiple Libraries.png (363.87 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Here is a little more info on multiple libraries:
Attachments
System Photo Library.png
System Photo Library.png (78.44 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:40 am

I did find the option/open feature, just like in iPhoto. Apparently there's no switch on the fly like in Aperture. Not that I've ever used multiple libraries.

I think I'll stick with Aperture for a while. I'm assuming Apple will add some features and that plugins will become available.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 am

I too thought that I would try loading all my photos in the Cloud just to see what that was like. Like you, I had very very slow load times. I left Photos running while I did other things and from what I can tell, it took about 3 days to complete everything. During the time while it was "working" I noted that my MacBook Pro fans were running at high speed and hot. Sounded like the computer was about to take off and start orbiting around the room. In fact... I think that the very heavy use of the fans over those several days has actually caused one of my fans to fail (it was making a terrible loud noise) ... and I've subsequently bought a replacement fan and installed it.

Readers of my posts will know that I'm no fan of the Cloud. This experience has not convinced me at all of its value or reliability. I have since turned off the cloud and removed my photos from there. I'll keep my backups on local hard drives, thanks.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:36 pm

I think most cloud storage should be thought of a convenient way to make data available wherever you are. Sort of like web mail.
Any company can shut down a service at any time. I would rely on Apple to give advance notice, they can afford it. But I would never think of cloud storage as my one and only backup or archive.
This is especially true of photos, some of which are irreplaceable.

If you're running Time Machine or any other automated or regularly scheduled backup scheme, you do have a hard backup.
Steve Jobs