What are your thoughts on Apple Watch?

Discussion of issues related to Apple Watch.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 am

1. I'm buying one.
2. What's an Apple Watch?
3. Why does it exist?
4. Meh.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: What are your thoughts on Apple Watch?

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Ray set up an Apple Watch section already, so he's enthusiastic.

I think the only safe thing to say is that Apple will redefine (fill in the blank) with the Apple Watch. They'll be unable to make them fast enough. Just based on past experience. It's much less creepy than Google Glass.

If I had a particular need, I'd buy one, but I don't see a need (for me) at the moment.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Ray set up an Apple Watch section already, so he's enthusiastic.
Let's just say that I am "efficient".

Anyway, I am thinking stainless steel with the black leather loop band (looks the most comfortable) ... or possibly the Milanese loop band.

Just bought the Take Control book this morning for $5: http://tid.bl.it/apple-watch-crash-course-cart

I probably don't really need an Apple Watch, but ...

:)
Attachments
Apple Watch.png
Apple Watch.png (81.46 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Let's just say that I am "efficient".

Did you efficiently preorder, or are you thinking the Take Control book may help your decision.

The bands are all interchangeable, I think.

I know several people who never "needed" an iPhone, or "never paid for a cell phone in my life," etc. And now they can't live without them.
I bought my first iPhone, a 4, as a treat to myself, not because I needed it. But now I use it many times every day, often for hours at a time (audiobooks, book-books, sometimes music). I use it as a camera, a timer, a contact manager, a web device, even a phone.

I suppose the Apple Watch will be similar. People will wonder how they did without them. Or at least some people will. This may take a couple of years.

Of course, the media is going all doubting Thomas on us, apparently forgetting the nearly identical articles they wrote about the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the MacBook Air, the iPhone 6, etc.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 am

I note that the photos of the AppleWatch always show its very many interesting faces. And to some extent the lively variety of bands. But if you look at the actual watch from the side, you'll note that it's pretty "fat" ... it's thick. I will bet that this thing is not as dainty or as a unobtrusive as people think. I'm tempted to want one, but I think that (assuming it catches on) that the second or third version may be much thinner. Thin-ness seems to be the ultimate Apple design goal these last few years. I actually posted that thought on Macintouch just last week in light of the new MacBook. All of the devices seem to just get thinner and thinner and thinner. I don't get it, actually. I don't like the iPhone 6, for example, its thin-ness is to me a negative point. Just my two bits.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:14 pm

I think thinness in MacBooks and MacBook Airs is for students who have to shlep the thing around in a backpack all day, seven days a week. Furthermore, if it takes up less thickness in a backpack, that's a help too. Probably the same goes for business people who travel a lot.
For the new MacBook, the determining piece is the keyboard. Unless Apple makes a nonmoving keyboard that has haptic feedback like the MacBook's trackpad, I doubt they can make that part thinner. If you don't need a real keyboard, you can use an iPad.

The iPhone 6 is barely thinner than the iPhone 5. We have both at home. It looks a bit thinner because of two things: it's bigger and it's got curved edges. In the hand, it's not much different.

I expect the Apple Watch will get thinner, and possibly smaller over the years. But we're getting down to some physical constraints if it's to have any touch capability at all. Maybe batteries will take a shrinking pill, but again there's that darn physics.

A predecessor of the Apple Watch is old-fashioned diving watches. They were huge and heavy, and most people used a heavy stainless band. They were a status symbol, but distinctly uncomfortable unless you had big wrists.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Here's a thing I'll bet will come: iPhone iWatch images. That is to say, your iPhone will have a face that looks like an iWatch.
One thing I miss is a one-button way to see the time. You can do that if the lock screen is on, but if the phone is awake, the time is teensy. I suppose I could ask Siri.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:40 pm

http://xkcd.com/1497/

I would add that some (or most) tech writers think they are engineers and/or programmers.
Attachments
newproduct.jpg
newproduct.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:47 pm

And here is an interesting money-saving option:

Purchase an aluminum Apple Watch Sport.
Purchase a set of Apple Watch band adapters (see screenshot) from http://get-click.com.
Use a conventional watch band ... like an expansion band.

;)
Attachments
get-click.png
get-click.png (193.07 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:50 pm

I expect that there'll be many, many third-party Apple Watch bands available pretty soon now:

gold bands; platinum bands; hand-stitched snake-skin with diamonds and rubies bands.

Apple will introduce BandKit, free software that helps you design and then order from the Apple Store 3D printed bands.

Bands will bring out band-branded bands along with their mastered-for-iTunes complete collection.
Steve Jobs