OS X 10.10.3 Public Beta

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

OS X 10.10.3 Public Beta

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Today I downloaded the OS X 10.10.3 Public Beta that includes the Photos app on both my iMac and MacBook Pro.

In short, all my photos are now in sync among my iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, and iPhone 6+ using iCloud Photo Library ... without any problems (so far, at least).

As anticipated, the Photos app closely resembles the Photos app on the iPad (see first screenshot), and editing photos is as easy as it was in iPhoto ... if not easier.

The second screenshot shows the available sliders in the Adjustments option ... with thumbnails showing how moving the slider will affect the photo. Easy.

:)
Attachments
Photos App.png
Photos App.png (792.75 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
Pizza Photo.png
Pizza Photo.png (721.82 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: OS X 10.10.3 Public Beta

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 pm

For you Aperture users, you will notice an Add button in the above screenshot. Clicking that will allow you to add more advanced Adjustment options, as shown in the first screenshot.

Hovering over the top right corner of the Adjustment pane also discloses an arrow that will display additional sliders, as shown in the second screenshot.

;)
Attachments
Advanced Adjustments.png
Advanced Adjustments.png (23.34 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
More Advanced Options.png
More Advanced Options.png (65.93 KiB) Viewed 2861 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 am

Among other things, some people are reporting that 10.10.3 fixes a problem for some Mail users where text did not appear on screen instantly while typing. If you're a touch typist who watches the screen as you type, and especially if you use the delete key if you make a mistake or change your mind, this type-display delay can drive you nuts. (They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!)

Some people on Macintouch are complaining that Photos lacks some tagging features of iPhoto, such as color labels and star labels, and that you don't have the flexibility to deal with Metadata. Photos has a plug-in architecture, though, so maybe a plug in will address some of that.

Is there any text find and replace in Photos?

Another question: can you easily just sync some photos among devices? I have more than 50,000 originals, and would never want them all synced.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 am

Ray, using the new Mac Photos app can you create an album of photos (e.g., a recent trip) load that album onto your iCloud and then share the album by sending a link to your friends?

Can it all be done from within the Photos app? One of the reasons I continue to use Flickr even with its obnoxious ads is I can create my albums (to be shared) in iPhoto and then send the album to Flickr all from within iPhoto. I don't need an external uploader like you do with Picasa. Can I do the same with Photo?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:43 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Is there any text find and replace in Photos?

Another question: can you easily just sync some photos among devices? I have more than 50,000 originals, and would never want them all synced.
There is a Find option as shown in the screenshot, but no replace. Note that the Find option locates photos where the search string is in either the Title, Album name, or Description.

I find no selective sync option ... syncing just happens with all photos in iCloud Photo Library. And in addition to syncing all of my devices, all of my photos are also available at http://www.cloud.com

In order to stay within my 5 GB limit, I had previously trimmed my photo library to about 600 photos. That library takes up about 1 GB of my free iCloud storage space.

;)
Attachments
Find.png
Find.png (42.28 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Ray, using the new Mac Photos app can you create an album of photos (e.g., a recent trip) load that album onto your iCloud and then share the album by sending a link to your friends?

Can it all be done from within the Photos app? One of the reasons I continue to use Flickr even with its obnoxious ads is I can create my albums (to be shared) in iPhoto and then send the album to Flickr all from within iPhoto. I don't need an external uploader like you do with Picasa. Can I do the same with Photo?
It appears that the answer to both questions is YES. (see screenshot) The same capability is also available in the iPhone and iPad versions of Photos. To get started, you just have to go to Settings>Photos & Camera and turn on iCloud Photo Sharing. At that point, a Shared button will be available in the Photos app, where you can specify who to share the album with. I'm still experimenting!!

;)
Attachments
Shared Album.png
Shared Album.png (129.64 KiB) Viewed 2854 times

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 pm

For what I want to do it looks like the "Public Website" option is perfect. I don't want people to have to subscribe to my albums and be able to add photos, I just want people to be able to view them.

What I'm trying to get across is that I'd like to store my albums on the Apple server (iCloud) rather than Flickr so my viewers wouldn't be subjected to the Flickr ads.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the final release of Photos so I can play with it myself. I applaud your courage to play with beta programs. I've been down that road and too many time got bitten on the tushy. No more betas for me.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:15 pm

The first screenshot is the the e-mail that allows another person to subscribe to one of your shared albums. (I sent it to myself).

The second screenshot is the dialog box that appears after you click the subscribe button.

:)
Attachments
Sharing Notification.png
Sharing Notification.png (59.13 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Sharing Dialog.png
Sharing Dialog.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 2850 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:Is there any text find and replace in Photos?

There is a Find option as shown in the screenshot, but no replace. Note that the Find option locates photos where the search string is in either the Title, Album name, or Description.
So, just like in Aperture. Bah! I really need text find and replace. It is really difficult to work around this, as you can't just replace all the description text on all found photos (using the misspelled word as a search string).
Ray Bentsen wrote:I find no selective sync option ... syncing just happens with all photos in iCloud Photo Library. And in addition to syncing all of my devices, all of my photos are also available at http://www.cloud.com
So if you want to use sync, your choices are the old style of making an album and using iTunes to sync that (which is fine by me) or to split up libraries and use auto sync.

I did beta test Yosemite for months, but I'm with Richard at this point. I'll wait for 10.10.3 to go golden. And I'll probably wait to see what plugins become available for Photos before I switch from Aperture. (Not that I think Apple has to make Photos an upgrade from Aperture, despite "Photos is an easy upgrade from iPhoto or Aperture."

Thanks for taking point on this one Ray.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

A few last tidbits:

When you convert from using iPhoto to using the Photos app, all of your iPhoto events become Albums that are located in a folder called "iPhoto Events". iPhoto Albums are converted to identical Albums in the Photos app.

Therefore, if you have created Albums in iPhoto using photos from an Event, you will end up with duplicate Albums. Since I didn't have a lot of photos to deal with, it was pretty easy to delete those duplicates. I also dragged all of the albums that were converted Events out of the iPhoto Events folder, deleted the folder, and then dragged the Albums into alphabetical order as shown in the screenshot below.

The Photos app has an icon in the sidebar that is simply labeled "Photos". Clicking on that icon will show thumbnails of all your photos in chronological order along with the date the photo was taken and the location (if available).

The album labeled "All Photos" on the other hand shows all of your photos in chronological order (in a compact rectangular array), but with no dates.

In all of the displays you can re-size the photo thumbnails with a slider, and right-clicking (or control-clicking with a one button mouse) will allow for trashing. rotating, and sharing. Clicking a small heart icon on a photo thumbnail will put the photo into a Favorites folder.

In general, I like the new Photos app, and even after using Photos for only a few hours, don't miss iPhoto at all !
Attachments
Albums in Order.png
Albums in Order.png (711.65 KiB) Viewed 2846 times