Thunderbolt Advice

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Thunderbolt Advice

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:48 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:Looks really cool! Remind us what this little thing costs?
https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC ... olt2-Dock/

$250 preorder price.

I did notice, I think, that there's a slight audio pop on computer wake when using the dock's audio port. But I'd have to do some research to see if that's really different from having audio plugged into the Mac.

Also note that you can't plug a USB cord in without having this dock supported in some way. Those USB ports are pretty scritchy [technical term].

Note that you can also route cables plugged into the Mac through the hole in the stand, so they don't hang around, so to speak.

[2/18/15]
I've now used most of the ports on the dock, and everything works. I haven't used the HDMI or Thunderbolt daisy chain port.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Thunderbolt Advice

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Followup:
The power socket or the power supply plug began failing this week, just shy of two years since I received the unit. I could wiggle the plug and get it to power up, and then it'd be stable unless I jostled something.
This reminds me of an infamous problem with some old Mac laptops that needed a whole new motherboard because of a failing power socket soldered on.
OWC issued a return authorization with no fuss.

Meanwhile, there's an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock ready for preorder.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs