Preview of the new Apple Photos app replacing iPhoto soon

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Preview of the new Apple Photos app replacing iPhoto soon

Post by bluesky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:44 am

Important preview of the new Apple Photos app. Coming soon with a future Yosemite upgrade. Everything keeps changing, folks.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02/06/ ... .features/
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Preview of the new Apple Photos app replacing iPhoto soo

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:28 am

I read this first-look article. Looks like the first beta of Photos is pretty much where some of us thought it'd be: a big improvement on iPhoto (especially in large library handling) not so much on Aperture.
I assume some features now missing will appear in the release version, such as location tagging*. Others may appear in later updates.
On the other hand, I don't expect Apple to try to compete with Photoshop. That's a no-win situation. As soon as Apple adds one Photoshop feature, people will complain that a different Photoshop feature is missing. Adobe, on the other hand, can make any Photoshop feature available to Lightroom with no development cost.

Aperture works very well in Yosemite, and there's no indication yet that it won't work in the next OS X version. I assume the same is true of iPhoto. So there's no need to rush. We photographers can take our time evaluating Photos OS X and suggesting improvements.

* Apple's invested heavily in Maps. And location tagging is a bit lame in Aperture now. There's no coordination between user-assigned location tags and iPhone-generated geotagging. Location is not available in the Inspector HUD, though it's otherwise almost exactly the same as the Inspector sidebar.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs