Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks guys for all of these very helpful suggestions and hints. So here's where I am now.... I found that the particular passwords that would not delete from Safari just happened to be passwords that Keychain showed as being under the iCloud tab. Now why is that? I suspect that any effort to delete those passwords would cause them to be instantly restored back by the Cloud. I strongly dislike the Cloud and how it functions. It does things that you don't know about and cannot see, change, or reset. So I deleted those passwords from Keychain and then found that they had disappeared from the problem settings box in Safari shown above. Interesting. In trying to delete additional passwords from Keychain, the Keychain Utility itself started crashing. After each attempt to delete some password, the whole app would crash and ask me to "Report to Apple." So...

I decided to go ahead and trash all of my Keychains which I have now done. I will let you know how things proceed as I continue to add passwords back into the mix. Interesting also is that now Safari seems to be once again asking me if I wanted to save each new password. During the last few weeks (since my Yosemite upgrade when these problems began) I was not seeing that box.

Stephen... with respect to your comment about how you cannot (safely) reinstall Safari separate from the Yosemite operating system. It's a very funny thing you should mention it and I believe you're right about it. But do you ALSO remember the very curious legal battle between Microsoft and several competitors going back 15 years now. I believe it was HP, Apple, and another browser maker (Yahoo??) who brought charges against Microsoft for their unscrupulous blending of Netscape Navigator with the Windows operating system. It was a giant giant legal battle that dragged on for three years!!! Don't you remember that? And the thrust of it was that it was ruled in violation of free trade to bundle a browser with an operating system. Big legal deal!! Your simple statement that Apple has done that made me think back to all of those futile times....

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:41 pm

The Keychain is now correctly saving passwords. Safari's prefs pane shows that they are saved. But each time I quit Safari and then open it again... none of those sites open showing me logged in. In each case I must type a letter, click on the Keychain "please fill in" box, and then log in. This is getting ridiculous.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:35 pm

This thread has been going on for a while so I'm probably going to be covering old ground, but bear with me. Jerry, you log on to a website then leave that website without logging out. Later you come back to that website but you've been logged out. Is that the case?

If so then there are two possibilities that come to mind. The first is most websites will automatically log you out if no activity has taken place for a specified amount of time. Perhaps you had left the website for more than that time so were automatically logged out. This doesn't happen on the SMUG Forum because Webmaster Ray told the forum software not to do that until the Second Coming. Well, he had to put in a specific number of minutes but I think it's just a week short of the Second Coming. That's why once you've logged in to the SMUG Forum you're logged in for life or it seems that way.

The second is some websites will automatically log you out if the browser is closed. Not minimized but closed all the way. It sounds like you're closing the browser completely and then having to log in again. This closing of the browser may be your problem as well.

There are a couple of things I'd be interested in knowing. One is what happens if you minimize the browser rather than closing it? Run an empirical test and see what happens. Also, while you're in the browser don't close the problem website but send it to a tab. Theoretically when in a tab the website is still open. Wait awhile and then open the tab to see if you're still logged in. Of course this won't help with websites that automatically log you out after a certain time of inactivity but it would be interesting to see what tab vs. close yields.

I'm a member of several forums and have things set up to recognize me when I go to that forum and automatically log me in. This works because the forum webmaster has set it up to let the software do that. But all other websites insist I log in each time for security reasons and this makes sense to me. I log in then I manually log out. I'm just not having the problems you are which isn't to say that you're doing something wrong. I just can't understand what's happening on your Mac.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Wondering if deleting your keychains would be a fix?

Backup your computer first.

* On the Finder menu, click on "Go", then on "Go to Folder". A box should come up.

* On the box, type in "~/Library/Keychains/" and click on "Go". It should lead you to the Keychains folder where you will find three items: (1) a folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers, (2) login.keychain, and (3) metadata.keychain.

* Delete the folder (or drag it someplace where you can find it later) with a name mixed with letters and numbers.

* Restart your computer. Check to see if the problem has been solved.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks Richard and Jay. As in my previous post, YES, I have now deleted my keychains and I'm gradually returning to each site and place I visit and re-entering my password and username for each. The sites do not remember my login. So that next time I come back to the site, after quitting Safari, I am asked to do the same thing again. As long as Safari is running, I can close windows and reopen them as many times as I wish and I am always remembered. But when Safari is quit, that login info is lost. The "remember me" button at these sites may be checked or unchecked. It makes no difference.

Understand.... I have been doing things the same way for more than 15-20 years. Nothing is new with me, my computer, or how I do things.... except that Yosemite is new and Safari is new.

I will keep poking around with this. I also need to create a new dummy login and see how it works there. Haven't done that yet.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:38 pm

I think we dealt with this early on, but what do your Privacy settings look like? (Safari > Preferences > Privacy)

In Safari 8, you can't really have Privacy on (nothing gets saved) by accident, as it requires a new Private Window. (In my estimation, that is a great improvement.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Shooting in the dark here, but...

A discussion mentions that repair permissions fixed a similar problem. FWIW, you should do Repair Permissions in Disk Utility while logged in, or using one of the approved not-logged-in methods, like DiskWarrior 5 or the recovery partition.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... ing-os-x-1
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Jerry,
I saw your note on Macintouch about a jumping cursor in Mail, and a reply.
If what you're seeing is repeatable, triggered in some way by apostrophes, then its not the same as the text-display-delay problem that's still in Mail. That can seem to cause the cursor to jump from delayed display of spaces or backspaces, but it's random.

If you're seeing something not random, I agree with the Macintouch responder that suggested some kind of autocorrect or text-substitution issue. I'd start with Keyboard Shortcuts, or Keyboard Maestro or any other text-substitution utility you might have.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 am

This article was mentioned in an Apple Support thread I've been following. It seems to attempt to address the "jumping cursor" issue rather than the text-display delay.

http://www.macissues.com/2015/02/03/pos ... nctuation/

And here's another thing to try, also suggested in the same Apple thread.

http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/15/fix ... os-x-mail/
Steve Jobs