Quicken

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Triker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quicken

Post by Triker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 am

Need a little help with one of the last versions of Quicken. Currently plan to be at meeting tonight.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Quicken

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 am

I won't be at the meeting, but use Quicken Essentials 1.7.4 in case you want to ask a question in the forum.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Triker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Triker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I hope I am doing this correctly. I need help on setting up the register so it will be like a checkbook. Would like the register to be similar to Quicken 5 which was on an older laptop. 5 does not work on my new computer with Mountain Lion.

My cell number 1 541 980 5210 My name is Mary Lou I am 90 so all help is appreciated I have QE 1.7.4 on my computer

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Quicken Essentials looks quite different, but we got used to it quickly. It's also been much more stable for us. We use it primarily as a checkbook register.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 am

Some people like Quicken Essentials (for instance Stephen)... others, like me, do not like it. I tried it for a year and found it unpleasant. Your older Quicken will work with Mountain Lion (and Mavericks) but you need to download the $15 "Lion Compatible" version. I see that I posted this information here on the Forum almost exactly a year ago!

"Well actually... there is a Lion and Mountain Lion compatible version of Quicken 7 available for $15 from their website here: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/ ... 83769.html. "

So far as I know, that link still works.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 am

According to discussion at Macintouch, Quicken 2007 has been updated again. I'm sure Intuit is reluctant to keep working on such old software, but they apparently are doing just that.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:19 am

Quicken Mac 2015 is available in the App Store and at a discount from Amazon.
(I opted for the App Store version to take advantage of the easy updating.)

I upgraded my database the other day and it was completely effortless. It does want you to set up a Quicken login, but otherwise was completely uneventful.
At first, I couldn't find where it saved my database file. But inside Quicken, you can change where it's saved, so I just moved it.

The interface is more spread out and type is larger. Some of the cutesy icons are gone. Otherwise it looks a lot like Quicken Essentials.

One potential disadvantage is that you can customize the sidebar, so if you don't have investment accounts, or don't want to keep data on them in Quicken, you'll still have to see the entry in the sidebar. I went to the Quicken site and "voted" to add customization to the sidebar.
Steve Jobs

LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by LGmus » Mon May 25, 2015 11:58 am

Hi, again,

Do you still like the Quicken for Mac 2015?
and any tips re importing data from Quicken 2005 (from what i see from other online discussions, still a lot better--problem is it's not working any more with most banks!!)

thanks,
Lili

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 pm

LGmus wrote:Hi, again,

Do you still like the Quicken for Mac 2015?
and any tips re importing data from Quicken 2005 (from what i see from other online discussions, still a lot better--problem is it's not working any more with most banks!!)

thanks,
Lili

We don't import from our bank, so I can't speak to that function.
Steve Jobs