External HD Won't Wake Up

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: External HD Won't Wake Up

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Here's something interesting. My Macbook had been sleeping for awhile while I was reading and then I heard my external hard drive spin up. My Macbook was still sleeping so I tapped the space key to bring it awake and I noticed that Time Machine was doing a backup. Interesting. I let Time Machine finish and I went back to my book (eBook, actually). About an hour later I heard the external drive spin up again so I brought the Macbook out of sleep and once again Time Machine was doing its hourly backup.

What this tells me is that even when the Macbook is sleeping scheduled activities such as a Time Machine backup will happen. So why not SuperDuper? I'm using the most current version (v2.7.5) which is supposed to be compatible with Yosemite. For some reason SuperDuper isn't telling my external drive to wake up on my Macbook but it did on my iMac. It's got to have something to do with the Macbook and not SuperDuper nor the OS (Yosemite was on both the iMac and now the Macbook).

Anyway, I've got System Preferences/Energy Saver/Schedule set to wake the Macbook one minute before SuperDuper is supposed to do its thing this coming morning. We shall see what we shall see.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 am

It worked! I scheduled the Macbook to come awake at 3:59AM and I also scheduled SuperDuper to do its thing at 4:00AM. Everything worked as it should. Now the remaining question is why can Time Machine work while the Macbook is sleeping but not SuperDuper. I think I'll email tech support at SuperDuper and ask.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:15 am

Richard Serkes wrote:It worked! I scheduled the Macbook to come awake at 3:59AM and I also scheduled SuperDuper to do its thing at 4:00AM. Everything worked as it should. Now the remaining question is why can Time Machine work while the Macbook is sleeping but not SuperDuper. I think I'll email tech support at SuperDuper and ask.
Do you have Power Nap enabled in Energy Saver?

My wife's iMac wakes for very short periods several times a day, and for Time Machine.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:It worked! I scheduled the Macbook to come awake at 3:59AM and I also scheduled SuperDuper to do its thing at 4:00AM. Everything worked as it should. Now the remaining question is why can Time Machine work while the Macbook is sleeping but not SuperDuper. I think I'll email tech support at SuperDuper and ask.
Do you have Power Nap enabled in Energy Saver?

My wife's iMac wakes for very short periods several times a day, and for Time Machine.
Yes, please see attachment earlier in this thread.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 am

Couldst be that TM has a built-in script to awaken external drives and SuperDuper doesn't. I see on SuperDuper forums a number of people have written scripts to mount drives just prior to backup and another script to unmount the drive when it finishes.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.