iPad Pages & PDFs

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iPad Pages & PDFs

Post by KarenColes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Using Pages on my iPad, I'm trying to create a "scrolling script" to use during a music performance. This script will consist of several different songs, and I now have each of them in my iPad as pdfs on separate Pages documents. I expected this to be as simple as copying one pdf song, pasting it into a new "script document," and then copying and pasting the second song immediately below it. Alas! Not so easy. I'm experiencing multiple problems, all apparently related to formatting. I realize that the pdf is being treated as a "picture," even though it contains text.

When I try to paste the second song below the first, it pastes on top of the first song (transparently, with both songs visible at once,) not below it. When I drag song #2 down, there's no page break, so the bottom half of the second song disappears. I've tried to insert a page break, and then paste the second song on the second page, but had no luck with that either. I've tried moving the cursor, thinking that this would force the second song to paste in where the cursor is located. That didn't seem to work either.

It seems like there should be a simple way to accomplish what I'd like to do.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Pages & PDFs

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:06 am

Pages is a little different from some other apps in this respect. I ran into this when making a document that had lots of individual images mixed in with text. You need to set how you want images arranged.
View > Inspector > Format > Arrange

You probably want Stay on Page instead of Move with Text.

As to getting the pdfs into Pages:

Is there text or are the pdfs themselves just images?
If there's text and images, you can merely select all in Preview (command A) then copy and paste into the Pages document. You'll get both images and text. You may then have to do some formatting.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 am

I have inserted Microsoft Word pages into an Excel file as an image/picture and adjusted margins/page breaks to created a continuous flowing document. You may try this using Numbers (I think that is the name of the spreadsheet program in the Pagess package).

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:53 am

How about using Keynote and let each song be a slide. With a simple tap you can go to the next song (slide).
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:How about using Keynote and let each song be a slide. With a simple tap you can go to the next song (slide).
Nice idea Richard. If all you did was make each pdf a slide, it'd also be a great introduction to Keynote. A user might then see ways to add to the audience experience or use Keynote for other things.

BTW, there are professional music groups that use iPads or Laptops instead of paper music. They must have a good methodology worked out. In fact, try this google search: "Macbook instead of sheet music," which leads to lots of possibilities.
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Stephen, I don't think that the iPad version of Pages has an Inspector, like the OS X version does. Or have I missed it? I'm trying to find a good (and simple) way for an older lady friend of mine to do this using only her iPad.

Richard, I think the idea of using Keynote is great. The problem is that it only gives you the option of a horizontal format, and the pdf music pages are all vertical. I tried a few pages in Keynote, and thought I could work around that issue by rotating the pdf image of each page (slide.) I found this to be very problematic. I followed the directions that say to tap on the image and then use 2 fingers to rotate it. This seemed to work only intermittently, and I couldn't figure out why I could get it to work a couple of times, but not consistently.

I even thought of using iBooks, but since each song is a separate pdf document, I don't think iBooks has any way to string several together to make one document including several songs.

I know a lot of musicians use iPads to view their music during performances. I've been doing it for several years myself by using Pages on my Mac, and then sending the completed "script" (via the cloud) to my iPad. But since this lady friend only has an iPad, my normal approach won't work. I guess I need to do some research to see how others accomplish it.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Addendum:

I just tried to accomplish what I'm trying to do by using Pages on my Mac. Was completely successful in about 30 seconds.
1. I pasted the pdf of song #1 on page one.
2 The cursor then automatically appeared at the bottom of the page at the end of the pdf.
3. I moved the cursor down past the page break.
4.Pasted the pdf of song #2 on page 2
etc. etc.

Very simple. If it's that easy to do with Pages and OS X, why does it have to be so complicated (i.e.. impossible) using Pages and iOS on the iPad?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Very simple. If it's that easy to do with Pages and OS X, why does it have to be so complicated (i.e.. impossible) using Pages and iOS on the iPad?
I'll check this out on my iPad tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything.

Apple's busy trying to get iWork for Mac to be equivalent--in features, workflows, filetypes, syncing, etc.--with iWork for iOS, and getting no end of angry attacks in the media for doing so.
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks, Stephen. I'll be eager to see what you come up with. To duplicate what I'm trying to do, just take any page of text (or anything, probably) and make a pdf out of it. Then, on the iPad, copy and paste it into a new blank Pages document. So far, so good. Then, try to do the same thing with a second pdf page, placing it below the first page.

I think I could almost be successful if I could figure out how to move the cursor to the space below the first pdf, following a page break. But after I paste in the first pdf, the cursor stays at the top of that pdf, and I can't get it where I want it to create the second page. There's obviously a lot I don't know about the iOS version of Pages.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 am

So here's an avenue to explore.

First, you can easily move pasted in image pdfs. Just tap on it so you see the handles.

Now you want to insert a page break. I was baffled until I realized that there's a whole nother set of controls on the keyboard.
So get an insertion point to make a keyboard show, then tap the + button on the keyboard and choose Page Break.
Now you can drag your images if needed.

BTW, the way I got the pdf was to save one in iCloud, then use the + button on the main screen and then Insert from...
I was also able to copy text pages and paste them into the pages file. But if I selected an image, tapped and held, then selected Copy, no Paste option showed up in the Pages document. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Play around with that and see if it works.

Here are some Apple support documents:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3552

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3560?viewlocale=en_US
Attachments
pagebreak.jpg
pagebreak.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs