Keyboard Konundrum

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Keyboard Konundrum

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:46 pm

So our power went out for just a few seconds this morning with the heavy wind we had here, at least.

My retina iMac was at the login screen when I checked. It's set to not restart after a power outage because we so often get brief ones, then a repeat a few minutes later.
After I logged back in, all was well.

My wife's 2010 27" iMac was off. It's also set to not restart after a power outage.
When we restarted it, it did not see her Apple BlueTooth keyboard.
This keyboard is new as of Nov 2013. Karen's been using it since I got my riMac and migrated her to my older iMac in early November.
We got her logged in by using my Apple BlueTooth keyboard, then got her BlueTooth mouse back online.
But powering the keyboard down and back up or replacing batteries and powering up didn't get her iMac to recognize a live BlueTooth keyboard. I tried on my my riMac with the same negative results.
I thought maybe it needed a long rest, so I removed the batteries and let it sit for a few hours. Same negative results.

I began to worry about my sanity. How could a BlueTooth keyboard die in a power outage?

Then, as I began writing this post, I had one more thought. I'd try to pair the keyboard with our remaining Mac, a MacBook Pro, sleeping in another room.
I couldn't pair the keyboard with that Mac either... because it was already paired to that Mac.
We'd had no problems pairing it to her iMac before, and she was using it all along. But apparently we'd never deleted it in BlueTooth preferences on the MacBook Pro. Maybe the MacBook Pro was shut down, not just sleeping, when we first paired the keyboard with the iMac.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Keyboard Konundrum

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:22 pm

That's funny.
We bought a new Subaru with a Bluetooth sound system. I paired with my iPhone 6 shortly after purchase and it works great for hands free phone calls and music. A few days ago I left my iPhone inside the house while I pulled the Subaru into our garage. All of a sudden the iPhone started playing my iTunes playlist. Bluetooth connect was on in the car and it found the phone.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Jay Cline wrote:That's funny.
We bought a new Subaru with a Bluetooth sound system.
Jay, I'd love to read more (off SMUG if you wish) about your experience. We have two Subarus. Karen's has BlueTooth, but she's never used it. I'm waiting to replace my 2009 Outback (no BlueTooth) until Subaru has Apple CarPlay.
I use my iPhone most of the time I'm driving, unless it's a very short time trip.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Think about putting your electronics on a UPS.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Think about putting your electronics on a UPS.
Probably good advice.

This was a weird event, with the older iMac losing its connection to BlueTooth devices. Maybe it was writing BlueTooth prefs when the power went out.
Steve Jobs