Why am I continually getting this message?

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Why am I continually getting this message?

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:29 pm

This pops up a few times every day. I have no idea what it means or why I'm seeing this. I don't need or want iCloud but I have turned on the things you see checked here (and a few more that are off to the bottom of the scrolling list). The computer, my mail, the web, etc. is doing everything it's supposed to do .... (except remembering username and passwords in Safari, but that in another thread). I just don't get this.
Attachments
iCloud Screen Shot.jpg
iCloud Screen Shot.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 3.26.03 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 3.26.03 PM.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Why am I continually getting this message?

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Where it says "Open iCloud Preferences" to fix this... I see nothing to correct or fix. I've logged in and logged out multiple times. What else can I change??

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 pm

A couple of times I've seen a message like this. All I needed to do was to click on Account Details and sign in and it stopped bugging me.
You might also look at iCloud Drive Options.

I'm not sure how I got signed out.
But we've had a lot of signing in with various Macs lately, so maybe that's why I saw the message.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 am

It continues to baffle me. The iCloud Drive options are trivial and have nothing to do with the account management. I've logged in and out of iCloud multiple times. Each time you log out, iCloud removes all your iCloud files and materials from your Mac, then when you log in again, it reloads them. I have done this many times now. This is truly a conundrum. As I've said many times and many places previously.... the problem with iCloud is not in its idea or in its function when it works. The problem is that it is too complicated for people to understand. And its dumbed-down human interface doesn't let folks troubleshoot or understand it when it breaks.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

This still continues.... at odd unpredictable intervals.... for no apparent reason. Any ideas on how to escalate this up the food chain?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:22 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:This still continues.... at odd unpredictable intervals.... for no apparent reason. Any ideas on how to escalate this up the food chain?
I think you're at the top of the SMUG food chain! But you could call or set up an e-mail exchange with AppleCare.

Shooting in the dark here:

I'd suggest you pause the next time this happens and see if you can figure out what might have triggered it. Console might help, but it's got so many messages that it might not.
This has to be something to do with your Apple ID. And something that occurs more than once a day.

So, to review, you've checked your Mail preferences. You're not using anything to do with olypen in your Apple e-mail, right?
I believe you said your olypen address is the user name for your Apple ID. Have you checked to see what's your alternate e-mail in your Apple ID account?
Are you sure you're getting any e-mail sent from Apple to the olypen address? I get all normal e-mail from Apple to my Apple e-mail, but then that's also my username. I think you can check this in Manage My Apple ID. Maybe for some odd reason, the olypen address is being blocked when e-mail comes from Apple.
Finally, have you sent e-mail from your olypen address to your Apple e-mail and vice versa? Just to check.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs