DiskWarrior 5

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: DiskWarrior 5

Post by bluesky » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Some of the other SSDs in flash drive form have had problems slowing down as they heat up. VisionTek claims to have overcome that issue. Doubt it will affect how I use it.
"All computers wait at the same speed."

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:21 pm

OK... you still have to answer my original question. I have this hard drive from an old laptop. It's a SATA drive, I believe, in a small enclosure (I think from OWC) with a USB 3 connector (not Firewire). I downloaded a new copy of Yosemite to my MacBookPro which created the "Install Yosemite" app in my Applications folder, but I did not click on that app.... but rather copied it to this otherwise blank, but formatted hard disk.

The way it is now, that drive is not bootable. But I did plug it into a running Mac (with some old system version on it), the disk mounted on the desktop, and by clicking "Install Yosemite" and selecting the running Mac's hard disk, it performed a perfect Yosemite install on that Mac in about 20 minutes. I assume that I can do that on any running Mac that needs to be upgraded to Yosemite.

BUT... I would like to change this drive into 1) A bootable volume that can boot newer Macs and 2) A rescue device that can be used to run Disk Warrior 5.

I get the feeling that part of my task here will be to partition this disk drive and to install Yosemite on one of the partitions. Or maybe that is not true? I find the operation of Disk Warrior 5 very confusing. I have their neat little thumb drive.... but I want the whole thing on this spinning disk, mainly because I figure it will do everything quicker, right? Advice gratefully accepted.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:11 pm

I did respond, but maybe in a too-verbose manner*.

Here's what you have now:

A drive with the Yosemite installer on it. You could use this to install Yosemite. I thought I remembered that you'd need to copy it to the Mac's Applications folder and run it from there, but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Here's what you want:

A bootable volume on the hard drive.

You have three choices here, and all three can live independently on the drive, but each will need its own partition, I think.

1. Install Yosemite on a partition. You might have to run the installer from a different partition, but maybe not.
You could install Yosemite on the same partition that has the Yosemite Installer. The Macworld article I referenced above will tell you how big this partition needs to be. Or you can look up that info.

2. Build a bootable partition on the drive with DiskWarrior Recovery Maker.app. This will copy the OS X recovery volume on your Mac to the partition on your external drive and copy DiskWarrior to the same partition. This partition must be 2 GB or larger.
You boot from this partition by plugging in the drive and powering it up, then using option during a restart or using System Preferences > Startup Disk.
You will boot into the OS X recovery environment resident on the external drive. DiskWarrior will be a choice in the main menu.

3. Clone the original DiskWarrior flash drive to a partition on your drive. (I'm guessing this will work.)
This partition should work just like the original flash drive. It boots earlier Macs. To boot a recent Mac, you first boot the Mac into its own on-board OS X recovery environment. Then you use Terminal to start DiskWarrior. Type /Volumes/DW/go in Terminal.

1 or 2 may work even if the target Mac's internal drive has no recovery volume. 3 requires a functional recovery volume on the target Mac.

If the target Mac's hard drive is really hosed, it could prevent startup even from an external drive because the OS stalls seeing if it can mount the internal drive.

* You know what they say about science-trained science writers? Ask them the time and they tell you how to build a watch.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks very much, Stephen, you have now clearly explained all. I will reformat the drive into several partitions and then take it from there. It's nice to have an extra hard drive with plenty of room to fool around with (and it doesn't matter if the whole thing crashes anyway....)