Yosemite-Wifi & internet issues

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Jim Arnold
Forum Member
Forum Member

Yosemite-Wifi & internet issues

Post by Jim Arnold » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:41 pm

I've looked at this forum's Yosemite discussion of issues, and my big issue (wifi doesn't work & internet connectivity erratic), and I don't see anyone mentioning these issues. (RE: iCloud. I have avoided using any clouds so far and am not going there until I absolutely have to.) My problems with this release are apparently a real biggie for some of us — see: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2851212/ ... rsist.html. On a personal level I am extremely disappointed in Apple with this OS X release, but back to my main problems. First some background. These problems are on my recently purchased Mac Mini that came with Yosemite, which is essentially useless to me, so I have been using my "old" Mac Mini (running Mavericks, which I like) for over a month hoping Apple would have come up with a fix for these issues. That still has not happened, and now I'm looking to downgrade my new Mac to Mavericks so that I can start benefiting (hopefully) from this faster, better new Mac Mini along with my new ASUS Pro Art monitor. Since I haven't been using my new Mac, my Mail files and browser bookmarks (current on my old Mac) need to be updated as part of this downgrade "fix" among other file updates. Should I just wait for a fix to keep it simpler or what? Any questions, comments, suggestions, or cautions regarding all this would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Yosemite-Wifi & internet issues

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:48 am

You need to read such articles with a skeptical eye. Reporting the number of views of a thread means nothing. And the number of posters is often misleading. Even on very focussed threads, it's often hard to determine if each poster is reporting the same problem. Remember, there are millions of people using Yosemite.

Yosemite has been updated since its official release, and another update is in the wings.

Also, you'd need to do a good deal of checking to see if you even have the option of downgrading a new mini to Mavericks. It's usual for Apple to make changes in newly introduced models that require the latest OS version.

I've been using Yosemite since July and have no general WiFi issues. I was experiencing the problem with iTunes losing contact with iPhones and iPads, but that was fixed in iOS 8.1.2.

To help troubleshoot WiFi issues, we need more information than "essentially useless." What is happening with your new mini?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jim Arnold
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jim Arnold » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, Stephen. Sorry I didn't give a specific description, which I am working on and will provide more info & screen grabs later. Your reply has already been enlightening and made me rethink "fix" options and plan of attack. [Re your comment: to see if you even have the option of downgrading a new mini to Mavericks. It's usual for Apple to make changes in newly introduced models that require the latest OS version.]

I have extended AppleCare (and am still within the first 90 days of registration/purchase), so I'm going to do due diligence and contact Apple Technical Support to see what they can do to help me (and hopefully confirm there are not hardware issues, which I doubt). After I get that part done, I'll get back to this forum with my computer problem's status. (Until then, I don't want anyone on the forum to waste any time on my issues.)

Since this problem appears to be new this this forum's discussion, I feel that I owe some brief explanation and problem description. (I really had expected that someone thru SMUG would have at least mentioned this issue.) I've done a lot research and have seen somewhat different problems related to wi-fi and internet problems occurring with Yosemite. Even my problems have not been consistent, and, when it was first set up, my wifi briefly worked normally. The wi-fi would work for a while but then it would lose connection. Also the internet connection would intermittently be very slow or drop connection (even without the wi-fi dropping). The problem has evolved, and I have not been able to get the wi-fi connection to work at all. Thus I eventually gave up on the wi-fi and made a direct ethernet connection between the wi-fi box (CenturyLink's Actiontec model PK5001a) and my computer, which are only a few feet from each other. The ethernet setup works well most of the time but is also subject to slow down or dropping of the internet connection. Additionally I have not been able to figure out how connect to/use my wi-fi printers & such with this ethernet connection to the wi-fi box. My "old" Mac Mini has been working fine, so I've been using it and mostly ignoring the new Mac and hoping for a Yosemite update that would address these wi-fi and internet issues.

Here's a my main problem description at this point. My computer currently successfully lists my local wi-fi and recognizes that it is on but when you click to connect, a dialogue window says that my CenturyLink network cannot be joined. Again, I will get back to this forum after I've worked with Apple Care/tech support. I do hope I will have good news.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:08 am

The ethernet setup works well most of the time but is also subject to slow down or dropping of the internet connection.
Let's think of this as a separate issue from WiFi. Without a good wired connection to the internet, no WiFi base station can work well.

I have a newish PK5001z supplied directly by CenturyLink.
If you log into the modem http://192.168.0.1/ > Modem Status > Link Statistics are you seeing a lot of errors, failures or retrains?
Sometimes if you check right after a slowdown or loss of internet, you can see the cause in this table.
The typical advice is to power the DSL modem off and then back on.
If you're losing DSL or internet regularly, and this shows in the DSL modem, you might need a CenturyLink line tech to check your line.

We are at the literal end of some 6 miles of wire from the CenturyLink headquarters in downtown PA. Last year a line tech spend a couple of weeks redoing our line, and we've had consistent service since then. This can require checking each wire connection in the whole line. In addition, he replaced our modem for free, and that helped too.

If the modem is failing to stay connected, or isn't supplying consistent ethernet-connected service, you can't expect WiFi to work.

As to wireless:

Look at the Wireless Status table on the PK5001.
A couple of years back, I switched from using the DSL modem to an AirPort Extreme as the wireless base station (with a satellite AirPort Express). That provided a big improvement in coverage in a second building and consistency of WiFi. But if you're not experiencing loss of signal in distant parts of the house, the DSL modem should suffice.
Here's a my main problem description at this point. My computer currently successfully lists my local wi-fi and recognizes that it is on but when you click to connect, a dialogue window says that my CenturyLink network cannot be joined. Again, I will get back to this forum after I've worked with Apple Care/tech support. I do hope I will have good news.
Do you have WiFi security set up in the DSL modem? You should unless your house is far from any house or road. But that means that you need to have a password, remember it and enter it when you first set up a connection on each device. If the password is lost, or some other setting on the DSL modem is just screwed up, or got changed by accident, you may need to reset the modem to factory settings. Then set up only the password and leave all other settings at default. That might help.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:30 pm

From http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/07/yos ... c94b-seed/
Apple today seeded a fourth beta of OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite to developers, nearly four weeks after the previous beta release. The interval between seeds was slightly longer than usual for recent updates, presumably due to the holiday pause.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/20 ... 14c94b.jpg
The new beta, build 14C94b, is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus their testing on Wi-Fi, Mail, and VoiceOver. Wi-Fi in particular has been an issue for some OS X Yosemite users since the operating system's October launch, and OS X 10.10.1 released in November failed to resolve all of those problems.
We've seen no WiFi issues with Yosemite, but some people have. I'm also very interested in the Mail issues.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Apple today seeded a fifth beta of OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 to developers, just one week after seeding the fourth beta of OS X 10.10.2 and nearly two months after seeding the first beta.

The new beta, build 14C99d, is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center.

As with previous betas, Apple asks developers to focus testing on Wi-Fi, Mail, and VoiceOver. Many Yosemite users have had some ongoing problems with Wi-Fi since the new OS was first launched in October
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/14/app ... evelopers/
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Without knowing more details about the problem here.... it sounds to me like something else is going on with your configuration. Maybe related to your internet service, maybe related to other things going on in the background with your Mac. I have not had any problems with Yosemite and WiFi (although I have posted other annoyances here on this forum). This sounds like the kind of thing that you would want to test very quickly by creating a "Dummy" login on your new MacMini and seeing if the problem also occurs in that login as well. Many times, such problems do NOT occur in a dummy login which points quickly to some other local issue with your configuration. Do post the details here. I'm sure we can help you trouble shoot this problem. And my suggestion is that you don't try to downgrade to Mavericks. Going backwards is never the answer when the whole rest of the world is moving ahead.

Jim Arnold
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jim Arnold » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks, Stephen and Jerry, for your analysis and recommendations. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys, but even though I'm much further down the road with my original wifi & Yosemite sort of issues, I thought I should at least give you an general update for background and future technical reference.
FIRST. I contacted AppleCare, and the rep had me erase my new Mac Mini's drive and re-install only a simple dummy desktop (Yosemite, of course). That didn't change any of my previous problems. So, AppleCare had me take my new Mac Mini to Port Townsend Computer, an authorized Apple repair shop as you probably know. Richard, their repair guy there ran "every known" Apple diagnostic and found no hardware or wifi issues.
SECOND. I brought my new Mac Mini home and by then I had upgraded my CenturyLink unit to gain a faster internet speed (up & down). AND the Wifi and internet connection problems disappeared with the new router that came with the upgrade, an ActionTec C1000A modem/router. (It would appear that there was a wifi firmware issue between the old CenturyLink wifi and the new Mac running Yosemite.) Sidenote: Anybody need an ActionTec PK5001A? I bought it before from CenturyLink and so it's mine to sell I guess.
THIRD. After several different ways of trying, I could never successfully migrate all my mail files and existing desktop (on my "old" Mac Mini) to the new Mac Mini, which still just has a simple Yosemite dummy desktop. I felt I had wasted enough time on all these problems by then (end of Jan.) and needed a break, so I continued using my old Mac Mini (working just fine) and stopped attempting to migrate to the new one. Now I'm going to attempt again to set up my new Mac Mini. So, I'm looking to try migrating again and looking for suggestions on what process might work. Among other things, I've tried before are direct ethernet connection between the computers and copying from the old Mac's Time Machine backup drive.
Any questions or suggestions before I proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:03 am

Have you tried running Migration Assistant?

First you need to connect the two Mac minis. Apple recommends an ethernet cable if your Macs have ethernet sockets.

Then you can run Migration Assistant and it'll look as if you were setting up a new Mac.

If you want to migrate manually, you can just drag and drop your user files, and then configure settings as you go along.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:25 pm

As a side note to this thread. I am using Snow Leopard and have Olypen as my ISP and Century Link as my phone line and I was experiencing a slowdown in my internet speeds. Within the house everything is connected via WiFi. I purchased a new modem and everything was fine for awhile then slow down started happening again. Olypen did some checking with Century Link. Olypen suspected I was being "throttled". Of course, Century Link denied that was happening, but things got better after the inquiry. Things are still good, but occasionally slow downs still seem to happen. I have not had to resort to resetting the modem like I used to have to do. Apparently, the old modem was failing, but there are still some occasional issues/slowdowns. Maybe the new net neutrality passed by the FCC will help in this issue of slowdown.