Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Good idea, but no joy. I've tried just about everything I can think of now. Just everything. I think that there might be some corrupted files related to Safari because Chrome seems to handling things just fine... as they have always been for me for the last 20 years or however long OS X has been around. One would think that a clean remove and install of Safari (and all its related files) might be helpful. But that seems to be beyond the current technology.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:15 am

I went into the Safari Preferences panel and tried to delete all my existing passwords. I deleted roughly 50 such passwords without incident. BUT, interestingly... the ones in this screen shot will NOT disappear and when I select them one-by-one or as a group, the Delete button doesn't work. This tells me that something is messed up in there.

Secondly, I tried going into my Library folder and deleting many items under Preferences that mentioned Safari. Things like com.apple.Safari.plist. This seems to have reset Safari somewhat... but not completely... and those undelete-able prefs are still there. There used to be a command called "Reset Safari." Is that now gone?

Do any of you know how to completely remove Safari and reinstall it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 9.09.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 9.09.12 AM.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 2776 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:16 am

There used to be a command called "Reset Safari." Is that now gone?
It's now Safari > Clear History and Website Data

How many of the undeletable items are related to sites you have trouble with?

Have you tried turning Autofill off entirely to test? I did a little searching and don't see anyone telling me where the actual prefs are stored on the hard drive.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:27 am

Do you use an application like 1Password to help you remember passwords?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:40 am

No and Yes. No, I don't use 1Password or any other thing to manage passwords (except Apple's Keychain... which is also on my "poor software" list). And Yes, I have turned off "autofill passwords" etc. etc.. Yes, I've already used "Clear Safari History" which is not nearly as thorough as the old "Reset Safari" command. All it does is remove your history and cookies. There are many other things it doesn't touch. Only one of the websites I'm having trouble with is on that list of passwords I cannot delete, namely the SMUG site. But I don't see the significance of that because Safari is not remembering ANY of my passwords on any site.

I am utterly baffled about the connections between Safari and Keychain. I am also unclear about the relation between Safari and iCloud Drive. You will recall that various problems in Safari 8.0.1 and fixed in 8.0.2 had to do with other iOS devices and whether or not iCloud Drive was turned on or off. All of these complications are horrendous and related to each other.

You know... back in the day... one of the most frequent problems with the Mac OS was that programs would crash into each other. Memory addresses would become corrupted or memory demands would crash with spaces already used by another program. A major part of OS X was that memory management was greatly improved and supposedly set up so that each program had its own space to run and could not collide with other activities. It is that level of separation that should be in effect in this case and it is the intertwining of problems that make them impossible to trouble-shoot.

I am still urgently trying to figure out how to simply delete Safari and reinstall a clean copy That used to be trivially simple but is now apparently difficult or impossible.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Yes, I've already used "Clear Safari History" which is not nearly as thorough as the old "Reset Safari" command.
You can do more resetting if you install the Develop Menu.

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar
I am utterly baffled about the connections between Safari and Keychain. I am also unclear about the relation between Safari and iCloud Drive.
Keychain stores passwords so you don't have to type them every time. Autofill is specific to Safari, and it fills in forms. An error in either could affect what you're seeing. See below, for example.
iCloud Drive shouldn't affect websites. It's for making files available from wherever you log in. It's only active if you've activated it. Then it should work pretty much like Dropbox.
I am still urgently trying to figure out how to simply delete Safari and reinstall a clean copy That used to be trivially simple but is now apparently difficult or impossible.
The problem is that Safari is installed as part of the OS. It's also entwined with WebKit, a system service that also affects a bunch of other OS X apps, including Mail. So even if you do find a hack to reinstall Safari, it's unlikely to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, maybe I missed it, but have you logged in as a test user to see if you can set Safari to remember the SMUG forum (for example) password and have it stick?
Attachments
keychain.jpg
keychain.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:40 pm

Here's a site with a long reply on resetting Safari. It might be worth plowing through.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6609131

Another site I saw mentioned Adware. Are you seeing any signs of that?
This software seems legit and safe. The author gives manual removal instructions in case you are leery of installing his software, which he says is a sensible attitude. I used this (with no results), so I'm pretty sure it's not adware itself.
http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Have you tried using another user account?
-----------------

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:07 pm

A little more research convinces me that you can't [safely] reinstall Safari.
One suggestion is to start up in Recovery mode and reinstall the OS from there. It may take a long time for the download:
If all else fails. Boot to the recovery partition and reinstall the OS (This will ONLY reinstall the core system and its Apps. Including Safari. No personal data will be lost)
Another suggestions was to register as a developer and download the most recent beta of Safari.
https://developer.apple.com/register/de ... ent.action

But I will go out on a limb and suggest that this is a user prefs (Keychain, Autofill) issue, and reinstalling Safari won't fix it.

You might also want to look at this page, which suggests that if you can't delete items in Safari's Autofill prefs, you can do it in Keychain:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2499112
Steve Jobs