Office 2011 Problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Office 2011 Problem

Post by bobjeri » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:03 am

Bought almost new but reconditioned by Apple approx 2yrs + 4 months ago without the extended warranty.

I've owened Macs since the first iMac in 98 and thought that 'I don't need no stinkin warranty'. May have to rethink that.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

bobjeri wrote:Bought almost new but reconditioned by Apple approx 2yrs + 4 months ago without the extended warranty.

I've owned Macs since the first iMac in 98 and thought that 'I don't need no stinkin warranty'. May have to rethink that.
When you buy a reconditioned Mac from Apple you get a full, one year warranty just like buying a new Mac. I think Apple is the only company that does that. You can even buy the AppleCare extended warranty on a reconditioned Mac and it has no limitations unlike buying other reconditioned electronics from other companies. Again, Apple leads the industry.

In the days of the dinosaurs when I began my journey with computers I built my own and did my own repairs. But those days are long gone. Things are too integrated and miniaturized for mere mortals such as myself to do much with a Mac. For example, I bought one of the new Macbook Air models a few months ago and Apple said I needed to decide right then and there how much RAM I wanted because there would not be a way to open it later to add more RAM. This used to be a piece of cake (adding RAM) but no more. Even adding RAM is a process beyond most users.

So for that reason, the cost of repairs, and the cost of parts I have purchased the AppleCare warranty on all my Apple products recently. It's been worth it. I had a 2+ year old iMac with a faulty display and Apple sent a tech to my house twice to replace the display. When it was obvious that it was more than just a display issue Apple just gave me a new iMac with a new warranty. That AppleCare warranty saved my bacon.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Events may have already bypassed this need but... it also occurs to me that we should have suggested that you "Force Quit" Office when the problem first arose. It would have been the thing to Force Quit, then reboot the computer, then try the whole thing again. You may have seen this little haiku:

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 pm

It is my recollection that I tried to ForceQuit out of Excell but that it would not, but I am not certain.
At least I didn't have to pull the plug.

I get to about 1 maybe 2 of your meetings per year ... you folks are good.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Looks like a hard drive crash ... the folks in Port Townsend are taking care of it.

Thanks for your attempts to solve the problem. It is amazing that there was no sickly behavior in advance, but I've never experienced a crash before.

David, Blue Sky, attempted a boot from an external drive...nada and ran an Apple HW techie thingie from the original disk (among other things). Thanks David.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 am

Sudden failure is fairly characteristic of hard drive death. Sometimes you hear a noise before the drive completely stops functioning. Sometimes you can get the drive to function for long enough to clone it or at least copy your most important files.
But as often as not, it's sudden.
That's why SMUG so strongly recommends a regular method of backing up and/or whole-drive cloning.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs