Mailboxes on iPhone

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Mailboxes on iPhone

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I am trying to add a custom mailbox on two iPhones. I use the Mail app through Olypen as my ISP. I have two iPhones, both are 5C phones. One uses iOS7 and the other iOS8.1.1. Neither one will let me create a custom folder I want to call "Previous Mail" or just "Previous".

I can go to Mail>Mailboxes>Edit>Add Mailbox>Olypen and it shows two options of Sent and Trash that I can select. Nothing to allow me to add a custom mailbox or folder. I have a Que instruction book titled, "My iPhone" by Brad Miser that says after selecting >Edit I should get an option for a "New Mailbox" and then to type in the name for the new mailbox. I don't get that. I get the "Add Mailbox" and no ability to type in a name for a new mailbox.

What am I doing wrong? How do I add a custom named mailbox to my mail account?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Mailboxes on iPhone

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:00 pm

I tried doing it the same way you did and it won't let me create a new folder in any of the 3 email accounts I have one my iPhone. After a bit of research I don't think you can create a new folder/mailbox using only the Mail app on an iPhone. It would have to be done either from the provider's webmail site or from an email client on a Mac or Windows computer. I set up a new folder in Apple Mail on my iMac by control clicking on the email account name in Apple Mail, that folder then showed up on my iPhone under that account. Keep in mind you'll have to have an IMAP email account, POP won't work as it will only create the new folder on your Mac. Call Olypen and they'll set it up for you or tell you how to switch to IMAP.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks Jay. My phone is a POP account, for reasons I can't explain, this allows my wife and I to share the olypen account without deleting messages before the other one has read them.

Interestingly, the book says you can set up custom mailboxes/folders, but, as you found out, the suggested track is not what shows up on the phone. Must have been for an earlier version or something.

Thanks again for investing your time; I'll live with what I have.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:56 am

It sounds like you have an IMAP account if you can both read the same email. IMAP leaves email on Olypen's server rather than download then delete to your computer.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.