Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 am

Ever since upgrading to Yosemite I've been experiencing the glitches below. In general, the update seems to work acceptably although I think the changes to the graphic user interface are poor and the effort to use Jonny Ive's "flat" color schemes fails the user. If a button is a button that can be clicked... it should be shown to the user as a button. It helps people to understand the task. A colored dot (like the traffic light buttons on each window) is not just a dot of color... as in a decoration... it's a button. It should say "Button" and I think that history will show Jonny wrong on this. Also, on my 2010 MacBook Pro (which is admittedly getting long in the tooth) there are many slow spots where the spinning beachball has to think about stuff much longer than in Mavericks. My understanding is that newer machines do not face these delays. Specifically I'm talking about launching apps, opening documents, or selecting menu actions.

So here are the glitches I'm experiencing. I'm curious if anyone else has these or whether they are simply unique to my configuration:

1. Auto fill for website log-ins are mostly non-functional. As are the "Keep Me Logged In" buttons that used to work seamlessly. The change is not universal. Some sites seem to remember me but most do not. For instance, I am required to log in to the Straitmac Forum now each time I come here. In the past, I was automatically logged in. The same is true of many of my regularly visited sites. Not sure if this is a Yosemite issue or a Safari issue.

2. Is it possible that sound output from the MacBookPro's internal speakers is now much lower volume than it was with Mavericks?

3. I keep seeing the "iCloud cannot connect" error warning below each time I log in to the computer and occasionally at other times. I have no idea what this means and I see nothing in the iCloud preferences that I could change. I've logged in and out of the Cloud several times to confirm that it has all my info correct. Many readers will know that I am not a friend of the Cloud, do not use it, and do not understand it well. In this case, I don't know what it wants or why I should be seeing this message.
Attachments
Cloud warning.jpg
Cloud warning.jpg (28.62 KiB) Viewed 4911 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 am

I installed Yosemite when it was released on my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro and did not see any of these glitches. Granted, it has 8GB RAM and a brand new 500 GB SSD.

Autofill is working fine for us, on both the 2010 iMac and my new riMac. 1Password also does autofill just fine.
I think I had to log into the SMUG forum once after migrating, but now access it several times a day without needing to log in.
I wonder if clearing Safari's caches (or everything) might fix this for you. Another possible culprit is a bad file in Keychain Access.
We also haven't seen any issues with sound. I have read some comments online that some people are getting unbalanced sound.

Karen did say that her Peninsula College mini seemed slow after upgrading, especially in the mornings. But that may have gone away, perhaps because Spotlight finished rebuilding its index.

Slowdowns like this could be because of Spotlight indexing, Time Machine being stuck doing a backup, or hard drive issues. Does Spotlight show any other symptoms like not being able to find things you know are there? There are two ways to force Spotlight to build a new index. Early in the Yosemite beta period, I had some problems with Spotlight, and finally used the Terminal command to force a reindex. That fixed the problem.

That message about iCloud seems bizarre. What does your olypen account have to do with iCloud? Did you check Mail > Preferences > Accounts? Is it possible that you have your olypen account trying to send via iCloud or something? Did you look in System Preferences > iCloud to make sure everything's set up right and that you can log into your account details?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 am

Just separately, I have seen a couple glitches with Yosemite. Oddly, these seem to have come with the release version.

Occasionally, typing is slow in Mail. I'll type a few characters, and it'll be a second before they appear. Restarting Mail fixes that.

I've seen the Magic Mouse not scroll vertically or horizontally in Safari and iTunes. Restarting the apps usually brings that back. Yesterday I chose the nuclear option. I shut down, unplugged my riMac for a few minutes, put fully-charged batteries in my Magic Mouse and restarted. I haven't seen either of those issues since.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:20 pm

1) No problems at all.

2) I don't listen to music on my Mac so I can't respond.

3) This happened to me several times for a day or two after installing Yosemite but then it just stopped.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 pm

BTW, "This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of" has its own Apple Support Communities thread, but it's in reference to Mavericks. Might be worth checking it out.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/54 ... 0&tstart=0
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Here's a little glitch and a solution.

One way to get out of Full Screen is to hover the mouse pointer at the top of the screen and use the menu button. (In Yosemite, it's the green traffic light.)

But iTunes has a glitch that causes the mouse pointer to disappear when in full screen if the visualizer is on.

A search found that control command F--⌃⌘F--will toggle full screen in most (all?) apps. I made an entry in Keyboard Maestro's menu with the macro named Full Screen Toggle ⌃⌘F to remind me.

BTW, the way to get the pointer back is command tab to another app.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 am

Here we are several months into Yosemite and we're now up to 10.10.1 and I still find that web browsers do not "remember" log in information as they always have in the past. I have tested this on several websites and using both Safari and Firefox. At the suggestion of several websites, I've tried erasing all cookies and passwords and then re-entering them.... all to no avail. Each time I log in to the SMUG Forum, for example, I am forced to enter my user name and password. I have tried checking the "Remember me" button before and after doing this task each time... it makes no difference. I'm not sure if every single website behaves this way but certainly SMUG, NY Times.com, and a number of others I use frequently are all acting this same way. I think it's an issue with Yosemite rather than with the browsers. But as before, I am curious to know if others are experiencing this as well? And supposing that I am the only person seeing this.... what the heck can I do to change this?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:Here we are several months into Yosemite and we're now up to 10.10.1 and I still find that web browsers do not "remember" log in information as they always have in the past. I have tested this on several websites and using both Safari and Firefox. At the suggestion of several websites, I've tried erasing all cookies and passwords and then re-entering them.... all to no avail. Each time I log in to the SMUG Forum, for example, I am forced to enter my user name and password. I have tried checking the "Remember me" button before and after doing this task each time... it makes no difference. I'm not sure if every single website behaves this way but certainly SMUG, NY Times.com, and a number of others I use frequently are all acting this same way. I think it's an issue with Yosemite rather than with the browsers. But as before, I am curious to know if others are experiencing this as well? And supposing that I am the only person seeing this.... what the heck can I do to change this?
This isn't happening to me. I have no advice to offer.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Jerry, I log into the SMUG forum and NYT as a subscriber several times a day and don't have any issues.
I have noticed one thing, though. In one case, logging into Apple Support Forums, my keychain has the wrong password. I don't know if that's a very old password, or that it didn't get my latest change.

I went to Keychain Access and found a dozen Apple login items dating back years. You might just take a look there in case it's entering a wrong password for sites giving you trouble.

I use a mixture of Keychain Access and 1Password for logins, and both seem to work.
On new logins, both are pretty aggressive in trying to get you to save passwords, so I think it'd be fairly easy to save an entry by mistake.

There's also AutoFill in Safari that could contain wrong information.

One more thought: Do you have cookies disabled? Having a site save your login (as opposed to Keychain or 1Password) requires cookies.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Over the years I have never been able for the SMUG site to "remember me". I was told by one of the gurus to just never log out. So that is how I have been handling it for the SMUG website for, at least, the last five years. I got tired of having to login each time.