iBooks Question

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iBooks Question

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:43 am

So I bought a book yesterday, and it downloaded and shows up in iBooks on my riMac and I can read it there.
I checked it in the books list for my iPad (set to sync selected books). After syncing, I can see the progress bar show that it's copying this particular book.
But in iBooks on the iPad, I can't find the book. If I look in Purchased, the book is shown as not downloaded, and so are a number of other books I can see in My Books. If I click the download symbol, it changes to Downloading, but then nothing happens.

Frustrated at that point, I set the iPad to restore. (iOS 8.1 restore is a 4-hour download for us.) That mysteriously gained me some 10 GB of space (that used to show in the Apps category), but didn't help with this iBook.

I have Sync Collections off both on my iPad and my iPhone, because they have different collections of books.

I even tried switching to sync all books instead of selected books and still can't see that particular book.

Any suggestions?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iBooks Question

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, I solved this by selecting Download in Purchased again. I looked in the store and saw a download progress indicator. I let it go and behold, the book is now there. It's mysterious, because if I look in the Not on this Phone section on my iPhone, for example, lots of books are listed that that are on the iPhone.

BTW, the book is You Are Here, by Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield. Its essentially a picture book of photos of the earth he took from the ISS. Beautiful, and just the thing for an iBook on an iPad.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs