Feedback

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
day
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feedback

Post by day » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:03 pm

May I please ask for a little feedback? I have a friend that wants me to help them buy an imac. She is a casual user with limited mac experience. She has about $500 to spend. Generally speaking is it not a good idea to buy an imac older than 2 years old? Or what it if is 4 years old sold on ebay and refurbished? From a great ebay seller? I'm out of the loop and don't want to make a mistake and have her get upset with me. Any feedback sure would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Feedback

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm

This is just my opinion, but I would say "no older than 2 years" is too harsh, unless you need all the features of Yosemite.
I have a top-of-the-line 2010 27" iMac for sale, and I know it's perfectly good running most features of Yosemite because I was using it daily until a little more than a week ago. But it's double your budget, and a good deal at that.

I'd say four years old is OK, five years old is pushing it, more than five years old is sketchy. But a lot depends on what you need to do with the Mac. Four year old Macs don't support a lot of the new functions of Yosemite.

Here are Apple's refurbs, for example:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... ac/imac/21

You can get a brand new base 21" iMac from Apple for about twice your budget.
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac? ... tep=config

Here are a couple of Amazon listings:
http://amzn.to/1u4FYEn
http://amzn.to/1z3ZX6u

My experience with buying an older, used, guaranteed product through Amazon was a 24" Apple Cinema Display. It arrived poorly packed, in very used condition with cracked plastic on one end. It had clearly been dropped. Because the monitor itself was OK, we asked for a $25% refund and got it. That's probably because sellers through Amazon fear a bad report to Amazon. Frankly, I've seen too many postings about bad experiences with computers and eBay that I wouldn't buy from them.

I would say that "refurbished" has no relevant meaning in this context, except, maybe, that the seller swapped RAM or something.

Note that there's a new store in Sequim, just starting up, that specializes in used Macs. Their guarantee seems generous. They're local. I have to leave it to someone with a functional memory to give you contact information, but the couple was at the SMUG meeting last night.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:43 am

There is a new, exciting, and very recent answer to your question.... The business Stephen mentions in Sequim is called MacTraders. They are at 334 N. Washington Ave. right near 4th Ave. and they specialize in sale of used Macs. They have fully reconditioned machines in various price ranges. They offer warranty and personal attention. This is a new business just opened by Glenn and Kecia Gilliam 360-301-2738. They have had another store in Salt Lake City doing this same business for the past three years but they have moved back to Sequim to be with their family and opened this new business just last week. The Gilliams are very pleasant, well informed people. They can counsel you on the precise pros and cons of each older machine and their prices are very reasonable. We've waited a long time on the Olympic Peninsula for MacTraders.

Glenn was introduced to the SMUG membership at this week's meeting in Port Angeles and Glenn has graciously offered to serve as the club's vice-president for 2015.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks Jerry.
It's also important to note that not all individual sellers offer any guarantee or help after the sale. That's really hard to do for an individual, as they have no control over what happens to the Mac. So the MacTraders guarantee is a pretty good deal.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs