iPhone 6 iTunes Woes

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 iTunes Woes

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 am

Are these songs you purchased on an iPhone? If so, maybe they're grayed out because iTunes hasn't downloaded them to your Mac iTunes library.

Do you get any useful information by control clicking on one of the grayed-out songs? How about selecting one and hitting ⌘I?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:21 am

JerryFreilich wrote:what a dashed line circle means?
I simply added iTunes to your question and Googled it.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 am

As posted earlier, all of the tunes with the grayed out text and the dashed line circles are on both my iPhone and in iTunes. All play properly. So what's the difference? What do those circles and gray text really mean? They are evenly divided between songs purchased from iTunes Store and my own ripped tracks. Puzzlement.

All were playing correctly until yesterday when this lunacy repeated itself and all my tunes on the phone started disappearing and playing randomly again. Once again I sync'ed the phone with NO music. Then sync'ed again, adding selected playlists a few at a time. Once again, they continue to play correctly for now. I think there is some essential bug in iTunes that is causing this for hundreds of iOS users. My guess is that sooner or later Apple will discover the problem and fix it. But for now, a quick survey of the bulletin boards will show how widely this is being experienced.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 am

Official iTunes feedback:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Or did you already set up an AppleCare case?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 am

Jerry, here's something that I just discovered. Or it's new. Or something.

If you device is showing in the Devices list in iTunes, and you select it, the sidebar will show two lists, Settings and On My Device. In either one, it seems you can choose what to sync.
Because I've been having strange issues with books (iBooks) on both my iPhone and iPad, I checked the On My Device section for a book that I finally got onto the two devices by downloading on the device. iTunes gave every indication that it was syncing the book in question, but it never showed up on the iPad or iPhone until I downloaded it there.

In the On My Device section in iTunes, the book is not listed, but I can add it. I can't actually test this out now because of having downloaded earlier on the iPhone.

Note that I did see some titles listed with dotted circles, and no way to figure out what that meant.

I also found that the settings for my iPhone were set to Selected Books instead of All Books. Either I did that by mistake while fiddling, or it happened spontaneously.
Steve Jobs