Snapfish Scam

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Snapfish Scam

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

I just received an HTML email from Snapfish thanking me for creating a new account and reminding me to click a link in the email to set up my account and receive valuable gifts since I'm now a new member. But I didn't create a Snapfish account. I've never had a Snapfish account.

Of course, the email is a Snapfish phishing expedition (scam).

It bears repeating, NEVER click a link inside an email even if it seems to be from a company you do business with. These phishing emails look like the real deal. Just open your browser and go the the company's website and login from there. In that way you know you'll go to the legitimate website and not be taken advantage of.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Snapfish Scam

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 am

What's Snapfish?
And did this e-mail appear to come from Snapfish, hoping you'd sign up?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Snapfish Scam

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:What's Snapfish?
And did this e-mail appear to come from Snapfish, hoping you'd sign up?
Snapfish is an online photo album sharing website. You can upload your photo files and do some minimal editing on your photos then create an album and send out email notifications to people who might like to view your photos. It's a legitimate service.

The email appeared to come from Snapfish but I checked the long header and it didn't. It wasn't trying to get me to sign up, it said I already had but needed to personalize the profile and make some other adjustments to my account. And if I'd do so I would get some really swell prizes.

What did my profile need? Age? Address? Financial information? Phone number? I don't know because I knew not to click that link and fill out the form. It's obviously a scam from someone who wants personal information to steal my ID. I just hit the DELETE button.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.