Office 2011 Problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Office 2011 Problem

Post by bobjeri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Just loaded it this evening, registered ... the whole thing went well as expected UNTIL

I clicked the Excell dock to open-----
'Welcome to Excell 2011' in the gray banner topper for the title page which is
'What's New in Excell 2011:Mac'

This page is frozen as is the 'Welcome to Word' page and they will not close when the file is closed or even when Word or Excell is QUIT. They will not scroll, change size or move in any way.

Shut down and restarted and opened from the Apps folder with the same result a couple of times. Noted they have a letter wrong in my last name on the key code sticker.

The apps folders have lots of stuff inside so they're not hollow.

Don't make me read a SW guide to get going .... please. WazzUp with this?

One more thing -- couldn't shut it down from the Apple menu ---- had to hold the power button down on the MacBook Pro .... Jeeze Louise

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Office 2011 Problem

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Hmm, that sounds nasty. By complete chance, I too just installed Office 2011 this evening. (But my installation has so far run smoothly and without a hitch so far, knock on wood). So the question is how to troubleshoot this. I have heard cases in the past where corrupted fonts, or even a single bad font, was able to freeze Office. When you first run Office one of the first thing it does is to organize its fonts so the hang could be at that particular step.

One thing to try is to reboot the Mac while holding down the SHIFT key. This will reboot the computer in "Safe Mode." Here is Apple's explanation of that:
Starting up into Safe Mode does several things:

It forces a directory check of the startup volume.
It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).
In Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier, Safe Mode runs only Apple-installed startup items (such items may be installed either in /Library/StartupItems or in /System/Library/StartupItems; these are different than user-selected account login items).
It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).
It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501 (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).
It disables all startup items and login items (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).
Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later: A Safe Boot deletes the dynamic loader shared cache at (/var/db/dyld/). A cache with issues may cause a blue screen on startup, particularly after a Software Update. Restarting normally recreates this cache.
Taken together, these changes can help resolve software or directory issues that may exist on the startup volume.

I would see if this fixes the problem. If it does not (or perhaps you might try this first....) I would simply call Microsoft's Help Line. I haven't used it for a few years but I think it always surprises people to learn that this enormously bloated seemingly faceless monolithic company has really surprising and very helpful real live people to talk on the phone. They may be able to talk you through the problem and short cut a lengthy trouble shooting process. Go to this website: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/12853/en-us/ Please be sure to report back here what happened.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 pm

OSX 10.6.7
Run Frist Aid permissions check about 1 time per month and it's had several system library bolixes each time for several months .... some of which may not be completely repaired, not sure.

There was a large Office 2011 SW update in April which I installed just prior to attempting to use,

I installed with the suggested styles and preferences.

Thinking of trying a reinstallation if your suggestions do not work .... then for a replacement if MS can't fix it.

Thanks.
:?

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 am

Your second note here reveals a situation that you did not explain in your first! Your first posting implied that you had just installed MS Office 2011. I see now that you already had that installed and what you were apparently doing was some update. It would be helpful for us to know what sort of Library problems you were having with Disk Utility.... which might or might not be related to this problem. Also, you CAN remove and reinstall Office. That process is quite painless and should work if all else fails.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 am

Yesterday evening I installed Office 2011 then immediately checked for SW updates which provided a huge one dated April which was installed.
Those Permisions glitches didn't mess with operations and assumed they were ankle-biters ... guess they were lurking tigers.

GoodNews-BadNews
LAST NIGHT Shift-StartUP worked in that now Excell and Word worked .... looks like most if not all perferences were reset. Safari is now in DeathSpinner mode but I've thought about going to FireFox which works well.
BadNews is that THIS MORNINNG computer chimes on StartUp, spins a little then goes dark ... repeated 3 times.

Think you are on the right track .... but today and tomorrow are overfilled with stuff so can't get to the problem till Friday AM .... fortunately we have 2 of these magic boxes.

Thanks for your help, Jerry. If I can't sort this out fairly soon will probably call Blue Sky.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 am

Re: Permissions repair.
You can ignore most messages in Disk Utility after a permissions repair. And, as it says in Disk Utility, permissions repair only affects Apple-installed software.
There's a lot of myth about Permissions Repair. It's not a panacea.

As this thread progressed, you mention a number of problems with your Mac. The issues you're seeing may have nothing to do with Office itself. I'd proceed with a lot of caution, make a clone of your drive, and probably ask for some in-home help.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:14 am

Do you see a screen that looks like this? Do you see the bottom close button? If not your screen resolution may be set too low.

Increase screen resolution

In System Preferences click on Displays
Change to a higher resolution. For example, change to 1280x800 or 1680x1050. Note: The highest resolution depends on what your monitor supports. Some monitors are only capable of displaying 1024X768.
Close the window.
Attachments
2464416.jpg
2464416.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 am

Jay Cline wrote:Do you see a screen that looks like this? Do you see the bottom close button? If not your screen resolution may be set too low.

Increase screen resolution

In System Preferences click on Displays
Change to a higher resolution. For example, change to 1280x800 or 1680x1050. Note: The highest resolution depends on what your monitor supports. Some monitors are only capable of displaying 1024X768.
Close the window.
I've messed with various displays.

Yep, that's what it looked like.

It would not scroll down to 'continue' that fateful evening, 'close' or even permit the particular part of office to Quit. Had to hold the Start Button to quit or get anywhere.

After Shift-StartUp could scroll down to 'cotinue' and do so. At that time, that evening, could also open and use Excell and Word. Next morning the computer went dark --- as it currently remains.

Will call Blue Sky --- never seen anything like this.

Prior to this whole thing the 'puter was doin purfect for the 2 yrs that I've owned it.
Last edited by bobjeri on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobjeri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bobjeri » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Re: Permissions repair.
You can ignore most messages in Disk Utility after a permissions repair. And, as it says in Disk Utility, permissions repair only affects Apple-installed software.
There's a lot of myth about Permissions Repair. It's not a panacea.
Dat's what I was thinkin at the time about those, what appeared to be, minor permissions glitches.
As this thread progressed, you mention a number of problems with your Mac. The issues you're seeing may have nothing to do with Office itself. I'd proceed with a lot of caution, make a clone of your drive, and probably ask for some in-home help.
Blue Sky appt made. David suggested trying the following:
unplug power
remove battery
hookup power
hold power button for 10 sec

He said it might do some internal electronic magic (my words) to get it going.
BUT he like the rest of us now, suspects that there was an existing problem prior to loading Office.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 am

I don't see in your original post if you said your Macbook Pro was new when you bought it but in a later post you mention it's been OK for the last two years. If you've had it for just two years and you have an Applecare extended warranty then Apple will pay for all repairs.

Did you buy it used or new and does it have an AppleCare warranty on it?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.