iPhone 6 iTunes Woes

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 iTunes Woes

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:48 am

You still might be able to save a good deal of time and further frustration by sorting in iTunes.
I'd be suspicious of anything with a Kind label that you don't immediately recognize as good and up to date. Here's all I have:

Purchased AAC audio file
Matched AAC audio file
AAC audio file
MPEG audio file (and these might be suspicious)
AIFF audio file

Also sort by name and look at any tracks that have only a number, not a name. (Siri can be helpful with naming tracks, if you don't recognize it.)

Because I've got a lot of my son Robbie's music in my iTunes library, I have been working very slowly to get song names and album names on everything.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:27 am

I have a little over 3,000 songs in my iTunes library but only listen to a few dozen of those. I created a playlist of my most liked songs and only those are synced to my iPhone 6. Might be a good way to troubleshoot bad song files if those even exist. Drag your favorites into a playlist a few at a time, resync and see if the problem goes away.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:45 pm

A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack on one end.
Or not.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:44 pm

I see that I have songs in these categories:

AAC audio file
AIFF audio file
Apple Lossless audio file (only 1 or 2)
iTunes LP (I think this is an iTunes purchased audio/video album "extra")
MPEG audio file
Protected AAC audio file
Purchased AAC audio file

So... are there some of these that should be changed, removed, questioned, or preferred? I have very little understanding of the various formats. All of these items played without any issues on my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 .... i.e., for the past 4-5 years.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:19 am

Another update.... I've been adding albums or playlists to the iPhone 6 very carefully checking each group after they're added to make sure they play correctly. So far, they all do play correctly and I've seen none of the bad behavior I was dealing with earlier. HOWEVER.... I'm still puzzled by something I just observed. If I click the little arrow to the left of my iPhone in the "Source List" in iTunes, I can see the list of items actually ON the iPhone. To my surprise, I'm seeing some items in black and other items "grayed out" and with a small dashed-line-circle in the first column. See photo. All of these songs in the photo were purchased from the iTunes store and all of them are playing correctly right now. So what's the deal with that dashed-line-circle? And why are these items shown as grayed out? Any clues?
Attachments
Grayed songs.jpg
Grayed songs.jpg (130.33 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:50 am

So... are there some of these that should be changed, removed, questioned, or preferred? I have very little understanding of the various formats. All of these items played without any issues on my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 .... i.e., for the past 4-5 years

If it were me, I'd look at each of the MPEGs, only because that's an older format. I have seen some songs in that format that didn't have the correct length as compared with iTunes Store, or had other anomalies.
You might also search on Time in the Music category on your Mac. If you see a track with a time that doesn't make sense, check it out.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Thing that gets me (about ALL Apple software, not just this iTunes) is that they have implemented something here but there's no guide or help screen that explains things. It's so frustrating!!! Wouldn't you think that the SIMPLEST guide to their software, updated with each major change, would be of considerable value to people? Why not some very brief explanation of what a dashed line circle means?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 pm

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:09 am

JerryFreilich wrote:Wouldn't you think that the SIMPLEST guide to their software, updated with each major change, would be of considerable value to people? Why not some very brief explanation of what a dashed line circle means?
That's what we're here for!

With all documentation online, it's often easier, and you often get better results, by just doing a web search. That's been the case for Adobe software since they put all their documentation online. It's also true for Aperture, Final Cut Pro X, etc.

Another issue with iTunes is that you see something very different if you have iTunes Math on. And there are at least two different up-to-date versions 11.x and 12 (in Yosemite).
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 am

Jay, thanks very much for posting that most informative web link. I think that my frustration is amply supported by seeing all the angst and misery people are going through... as demonstrated on the link you posted. I'm curious by the way to know how you found that particular link.

I haven't yet gone to the various steps people mention in that posting... but my situation does not line up well with any of the problems those people list. In the present state... the tunes with the dashed gray circles were all purchased from the iTunes store and all of them are now playing correctly on my iPhone 6. But they still are grayed out and show the dashed circle on the iPhone "Source List." The iPhone has 32 Gb of FREE memory so there is no question of being too full to contain the selected songs.

I'll keep fooling with this. Thanks again.