iPhone Tripod Mount

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone Tripod Mount

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:37 pm

If you need a tripod mount for your iPhone, for example to use the new Time Lapse feature, you might take a look at this one.

I just received mine today. It's minimalist, with just the spring clamp and a 14x20 threaded hole for a tripod or tripod clamp. There's no metal that could contact the iPhone. Either end could also act as a foot if all you want to do is set the iPhone down on a flat surface edge up. It folds flat. It even has a small hole so you can put it on a keychain.

Joby JM1-01WW GripTight Mount (Black)
Attachments
joby.jpg
joby.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: iPhone Tripod Mount

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 pm

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Jay Cline wrote:Is it this one from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-JM1-01WW-Gri ... ight+Mount
Yes. From which I stole the image. $17.13

Strangely, Amazon delivered it on a Sunday via USPS.

I should add that this mount can be used on any standard tripod, minis like the Gorilla pod, stiff mini tripods, real tripods, tripod clamps, etc. And because it's a standard 1/4x20 threaded insert, you could easily make a custom stand if you need one.
The spring-loaded grippers are quite deep, and coated with rubber, so you can position the iPhone to some extent within the grippers.

I have a similar Kenu mount in my car. It's grippers are shallower, and it has a screw in the center. I modified it with a clamp to fit where I wanted it to be in my car.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks. Most all lamps can be used at emergency tripods. The threaded screw that holds the shade is the same size as a standard camera tripod screw.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 04, 2015 2:19 pm

We've never had a quality microphone, though we've recorded with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. Recently I bought a Røde i-XY microphone. See this SMUG thread.

Røde makes the nifty Rødegrip iPhone holder that can double as a handle or camera mount. it fits the iPhone 5 series. But they tell me they have no plans to produce a version that fits iPhone 6 or any future iPhone.

In looking around, I found that Joby makes this combo kit: Joby JM2-01WW GripTight Micro Stand, which comes with the iPhone holder mentioned above, along with a slick, tiny, folding tripod. It's exactly the same idea as my Leitz mini tripod from the '70s: the three legs fold together. You could use this as a mini tripod, holding the iPhone horizontal or vertical, or as a handle. You can fold the tripod flat against the folded iPhone holder. I bought two, one for my belt pack camera kit and one for the microphone kit.

The tripod is sturdy enough to hold any camera as well, even a DSLR.
Attachments
jobystand.jpg
jobystand.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
Steve Jobs