iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:10 pm

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 pm

I've slowly been checking out the camera in my iPhone 6.

Today, I tested the slo-mo video function on a bumble bee on a flower. The flower was, er, blowin' in the wind.

Here's a Dropbox link to the video clip. This has been trimmed for length in Aperture, but otherwise untouched.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfv6d7nk7mzp0 ... r.m4v?dl=0

Also, the time-lapse function works. I did a shot of clouds blowing over Klahane Ridge, but it looks like it'd work for any situation where you can use a tripod mount, or some other way to keep the iPhone steady.

Technical details:

The slo-mo option on the iPhone 6 shoots at 240 fps 1080. That's better than my Lumix FZ150, which can do the same speed, but at much smaller frame size.
240 fps is 10 times "cinema" speed, which is 24 fps. Slowing 240 fps to 24 fps still retains every frame, producing smooth-looking video.
Normal speed digital video is often 30 fps. Most video cameras can now shoot at 60 fps, and many include 24 fps. Some people say 24 fps looks more "normal," or "cinematic." Lots of slowed-down video is shot at 60 fps and slowed to 24 fps (about 40%). Again, no duplication of frames.
[If you're old enough, you might remember the Breck commercials.]
Flicker fusion frequency or flicker fusion threshold is around 15 fps. Below that the average human eye sees a very fast slideshow, which can range from disorienting to nauseating. :)

BTW, really high speed digital cameras have been revolutionary in biology, similar to some microscope advances. They typically shoot at a thousand frames per second or more.
Attachments
beeflower.jpg
beeflower.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:A bit more good news for Verizon iPhone 6 customers:

Verizon's finally rolling out VoLTE, including HD audio voice and video calling. The iPhone 6 does VoLTE. It's not clear to me about earlier models. This may be Verizon/Verizon only to start with. I don't know if this will affect any of my usual calls, though.
Back then, when I looked at my Cellular Data setting on my iPhone 6, my only choices were Off and Data Only. Now I have the choice of Voice & Data!

I don't know when this change occurred, so I haven't had any chance to test it.

Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE
Steve Jobs