iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:28 am

If you weren't Jonny on the Spot enough, and can't wait, check this out.
Hard to see how Amazon can justify supporting this practice.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 am

Stephen Hart wrote:If you weren't Jonny on the Spot enough, and can't wait, check this out.
Hard to see how Amazon can justify supporting this practice.
Dear Comrade, it's called free enterprise and/or capitalism. If you don't like the price (and I don't) just say NO.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 am

Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am

I too like the iPhone 6 camera. What varmint does this to a leaf? A hint, this leaf was found at Salt Creek park and hundreds of runners were there this weekend for the annual Salt Creek Invitational run.
Attachments
leaf1.jpg
leaf1.jpg (314.52 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

The tire leaf virus? Or the running shoe leaf virus?

One time a couple of years ago, I walked down the short, steep trail to the south end of what used to be Lake Mills. On the way back, as I trudged along, I found a salal leaf with odd-looking holes in it, two roundish ones and one crescent shaped. Then I found another similar leaf. Then another. Apparently one or more kids had punched smily faces in salal leaves and dropped them all along the trail. I would have laughed out loud but I was panting too much. :D
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Hope no one got stung by the bug in iOS 8.0.1. It only affects the 6 and 6+. It is possible to roll back to 8.0.

Meanwhile in an Apple support thread on WiFi syncing problems, a user found that his phone's name had reverted to just "iPhone." He changed it back to his preferred name and that helped with the WiFi problem.

I found the same thing. Maybe my iPhone 6 didn't pick up the name when I restored it from my iPhone 5 backup, but I think I would have noticed that. After changing the name back and restarting, my iPhone showed up properly in iTunes. But it could have just been the restart. My iPad wasn't showing up either, but its name wasn't changed. When I restarted it, it popped up in iTunes.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Health.app

As there are no apps yet approved to feed into Health because of an apparent bug in the API, I added the basics to the dashboard: Steps, Flights Climbed and Walking (+Running for those so inclined) Distance.

I'm pretty sure the app underestimated in Flights Climbed. I go up and downstairs in my house many times a day, but the app only counted 4. Maybe the vertical distance here is on the border of what the iPhone 6 barometer can detect, or maybe our 2,000 foot elevation messed with its mind, but I think it underestimated by a factor of 2 or 3.

Steps Claimed is 2,406 for today. That's a big number!

Distance: almost a mile, vs 1.64 average. The iPhone must have been averaging since I got it on Friday. I haven't done any mountain walks or even any walks downtown, so this seems likely to be about right. I have no idea of how it would calculate actual hikes, where a mile a mile.
Also, what does it do with motorcycle riding? That must be hard work.

So the good news is the Health app can track your ambling. The bad news is that the Health app can track your ambling.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:48 am

Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Solve your pocket problem. Wait, you didn't know you have a pocket problem? Well, read this:

It’s the ultimate first world problem. You go to the Apple store, drop $400 for an iPhone 6 and then discover it doesn’t fit in your pocket.

Gasp!

If you want to put an iPhad (aka iPhone 6+) in a jeans pocket more power to you. And I expect Apple will be delighted to replace it for you pretty soon now.

But if you're sensible, and want to carry an iPhone 6 [mimimalist] in your jeans, then I have the solution.

Here's a photo of my iPhone 6 in my jeans, and one of how it's done. Just buy Costco's cheap jeans, do 5 minutes at the sewing machine, you're done and you just saved dozens of dollars. By the way, I didn't need to modify my jeans from the customized pockets I made for my iPhone 5.

The remainder of the pocket isn't all that useful, but you could keep your shorty slide rule in there.

Doesn't the iPhone 6 look darling, peeking out? I could be video recording everything, and you'd never know.
Attachments
inpocket.jpg
inpocket.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
sewing.jpg
sewing.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Interesting shortcut:

If your phone's in lock mode, and you have fingerprint set up, you can click and then keep your finger on the home button and you can avoid the whole log-in screen. If I can learn that--old dog, you know--that'll save me at the very least a few seconds every day!
Steve Jobs