iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 pm

iLife, iWork apps to come preinstalled on 64 and 128GB iPhone 6 units

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/#ixzz3DQJcZucQ
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm

I just got my tracking numbers and I'm good to go for Friday of this week. The iPhone and SIM card are coming separately. I wonder if that's for security reasons or the iPhone comes from one warehouse and the SIM card comes from another. Doesn't matter, I'll have them both in a few days.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 am

Richard Serkes wrote:I just got my tracking numbers and I'm good to go for Friday of this week. The iPhone and SIM card are coming separately. I wonder if that's for security reasons or the iPhone comes from one warehouse and the SIM card comes from another. Doesn't matter, I'll have them both in a few days.
That's a quirk, I think. When I tested a MiFi box from Verizon recently, the SIM was listed as a separate shipment, but it did come in the same box as the MiFi.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 pm

My iPhone 6 [petite] is being restored as we speak.

When I saw it in the box, it seemed huge. But then I put my iPhone 5 on top of it, and it's not really that much bigger. It fits my jeans pocket fine.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the space gray edges, and the lighter weight make it seem, well, less substantial.
Nothing on the top to catch dust or moisture is a plus.
The home button feels better, and I hope it is, as I had to replace my first iPhone 5 because of a mechanically failed home button. Also, no sharp glass edge.

Call me old fashioned, but I found it confusing to see setup instructions on the iPhone and on my Mac's screen simultaneously. And they both seemed to work.
Then I had to activate the iPhone using Verizon's web site, which took a few minutes. There was no indication in the printed instructions that I'd have to do that.

But, dude, it works! Even the fingerprint dectection!! It even makes phone calls!!!

Oh, and Richard already knows this, but the SIM is preinstalled, so you don't need to worry about those two tracking numbers.

Oh, wait. What am I going to do with this:
Attachments
free.jpg
free.jpg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 am

Sometimes little design features have larger consequences. The iPhone 6's rounded edge is slipperier than the iPhone 5's square edges. I'll have to be careful.
On the other hand, you can pick up the iPhone 6 from a table much more easily because you can get under the edge. With the 5, you either have to just grip the flat edge or, worse, slide it toward the edge of a table.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:54 am

Another design change which isn't working is the box. Have you seen the video of the kid who got an early release in Perth, Australia? He was being interviewed by TV people outside the Perth Apple Store and was having trouble opening the box. When he did the brand new iPhone 6 went flying and hit the pavement. What a sinking feeling he must have had.

Having seen the video I stood over my desk and very slowly and very carefully opened the box and the iPhone still went flying. Fortunately it only fell about 7 inches onto the table. Opening the box shouldn't be that difficult.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 am

Opening the box shouldn't be that difficult.
I guess the top of the box my iPhone 6 came in was pretty airtight. But I didn't drop the phone.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:10 pm

In very limited testing, the iPhone 6 camera is awesome (not a word I use freely).

Here's a snap I took just on an off chance it might work out. Shows off the auto focus pretty well.

I also took a slow motion video which is also very cool.
Attachments
honeybee.jpg
honeybee.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:13 pm

When he did the brand new iPhone 6 went flying and hit the pavement. What a sinking feeling he must have had.
There's a very similar story I read about a couple of years back. A customer bought an iPhone at an Apple Store. He walked out, put the phone in his backpack, slung his backpack over his shoulder and flung his iPhone onto the concrete, shattering it. He then went back in complaining to the store personnel.

Maybe a little too similar?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 am

I've seen reports since the 5s was released about mixed success with fingerprint detection.
I set up four of my fingers for use in various instances: left and right thumbs, left and right index fingers. All have worked absolutely consistently so far.
I also set up one for my wife, and that works, though she hasn't tested it much.

One odd thing I've read is that over time, the success rate drops. It'll be interesting to see if that's still the case, though from what I've read, that issue was addressed in later versions of iOS 7.

Here's a list of tips on getting the best results from the touch sensor.

If you want or need more than five fingerprints, there's one report that you can do more than one finger during the repetitions on setup of a "single" fingerprint. I didn't try that.
Steve Jobs