iOS 8 is here

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iOS 8 is here

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 pm

I have it on my iPad.* No surprises.

And there are a slew of app updates, which for me will probably take forever some time to download.

One third-party app that's been updated is 1Password. If you're a 1Password user, you'll like the changes.

* I'm waiting until Friday to update our iPhones. My new iPhone 6 will come with OS 8. I hope it won't require an OS download.
My iPhone 5, which I'll transfer to my wife, will need an OS download to her MacBook Pro. So there's no need to do hours-long downloads twice.
Attachments
1pw.jpg
1pw.jpg (23.09 KiB) Viewed 646 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: iOS 8 is here

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

No room on the iPhone for iOS 8, had to delete stupid U2 songs first. Just kidding, too many Angry Bird apps installed by my granddaughters.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Angry Bird apps installed by my granddaughters
Go ahead, blame the grandkids!
Also, probably your lolcat stepped on your keyboard. :lol:
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:29 am

Updating an iPad and an iPhone 5 to iOS 8 went mostly smoothly.
But there seemed to be some confusion about the several processes trying to go on simultaneously. On both updates I got a second message that there was an iOS update available. Clicking OK dismissed the message.
On the iPhone, then I got the message "Finishing sync" while the iPhone was still restarting. Then a full sync. Then a message that the iPhone could not be backed up because it hadn't been set up yet. I finished setting up and synced again just to make sure the backup completed.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Updating an iPad and an iPhone 5 to iOS 8 went mostly smoothly.
But there seemed to be some confusion about the several processes trying to go on simultaneously. On both updates I got a second message that there was an iOS update available. Clicking OK dismissed the message.
On the iPhone, then I got the message "Finishing sync" while the iPhone was still restarting. Then a full sync. Then a message that the iPhone could not be backed up because it hadn't been set up yet. I finished setting up and synced again just to make sure the backup completed.
Ditto! It wasn't just you.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

I went ahead and updated my iPhone 5. My 6 will come with iOS 8, and I won't worry about a restore image until I need to restore (preferably never!) I assume restoring from a backup of my iPhone 5 will work fine on a new 6.

In my wife's situation, I hope she can just restore the iPhone 5 using her backup, then activate it. If not, maybe I can copy the restore image from my iMac to her MacBook to avoid another 4-hour download.

Ah, life in the sticks! The deer in the yard, the silence (except for the weekend shooters), the abysmal internet.
Steve Jobs