I should ask a third grader, right?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

I should ask a third grader, right?

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

My wife has a Mac Book Pro with OS X 10.6.7 and an iSight camera. We have an internet connection of 100.00 Mbps. She and I both have Skype accounts. (Me on my darkside Dell)

My Mom (83 yrs old!) has just discovered the joy of Apple ownership and has an iPad (no camera) and now wants to get an iPhone 4 with "Face Time" to have video calls with us.

Can we do this? How on earth do I get an iTunes ID # to download/purchase the Face Time app? I am new at this app stuff and I do not know how to proceed.

Would it be easier for my Mom to get Skype on her iPhone, or is "Face Time" the way to go? Will she incur a surcharge for using Face Time on her iPhone4? (83, Social Security, dwindling economics...).

She wants to know if Face Time is compatible with Skype. I think I should explain to her that its kinda like trying to watch an NBC program on a TV that only gets CBS.

Can anyone give me an app lesson for dummies?

Thanks!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: I should ask a third grader, right?

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:53 am

Well, it's been a loooong time since I was a third grader, but I'll take a stab, as I just did this yesterday in setting up a new iPad for a relative.

It's very easy to set up an Apple ID, which works for iTunes Store "purchases," including free ones. It also works for anything else Apple does the requires an Apple ID.
Here's the actual set-up URL:
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb ... pleId.woa/
And here's Apple's How to:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2731?viewlocale=en_US

Note one important gotcha:
You must use a valid e-mail address for the Apple ID (username).
But it can't be a MobileMe e-mail address. That's because a MobileMe e-mail address is already recognized as an Apple ID. So if you have a MobileMe e-mail address, just sign in to iTunes (upper right corner) using that e-mail address and its associated password. Then you'll be prompted to review your account information.
And it can't be an e-mail address associated with another Apple ID. (See above.)

You need to think of a password and security question ahead of time. Apple's password checker is pretty severe. Here's an interesting article on passwords. Alternatively, you could use a password generator such as Password Generator.app or 1Password (a favorite of some SMUG members).
At some point, you may be asked for a payment method. Nothing gets charged to that number except things you actually purchase.

You mom will need to set this up to set up a new iPhone. You can't do anything but charge an iThing without setting up an Apple ID.

And, by the way, I think that Apple IDs are quite safe. There was a small spate of reports of people finding some unauthorized purchases on their iTunes Store accounts a while back. But I never saw a convincing story about that happening without an obvious user error, such as logging in to your account on someone else's computer and forgetting to log out.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 am

To take a stab at your other questions, FaceTime for Mac is $0.99 from the App Store (if you're in Snow Leopard).
http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/
iPhone 4s (but not iPhone 3s) have FaceTime built in. (Another SMUG member can discuss actual use of FaceTime between iPhones. I've never used it.) You can only do FaceTime between two iPhone 4s or between an iPhone 4 and a Mac with FaceTime installed (or, presumably, between two Macs with FaceTime installed).
Plans for iPhone 4s vary slightly between AT&T and Verizon, but I don't think FaceTime causes any additional charges.

That's all completely independent of Skype, which I've only used once and then only for audio (a phone call from China).
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 am

A few more answers:

Facetime only works when both parties are using either a Mac, and iPhone, or an iPod Touch. So, for example, if one of the parties is using a PC, then Skype would be the better bet.

Skype for iPhone can be downloaded for free from the iTunes Store. Both parties will also need a free Skype account.

There is no charge associated with making a Skype video chat as long as both parties are accessing the Internet from home, or using a free wireless Wi-Fi hotspot.
;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am

Stephen Hart wrote:You must use a valid e-mail address for the Apple ID (username). But it can't be a MobileMe e-mail address.
Are you sure? I have a .mac address for my Apple ID, and the way I read the FAQ, it looks like a mac.com address that you obtained before 2008 can be used, or any me.com will work.

From the FAQ:
How do I get an Apple ID?

You can create a new Apple ID at My Apple ID. Or, if you are an active MobileMe member, your MobileMe account also works as an Apple ID account. Either way, Apple recommends you use your email address as your Apple ID.

Can I still use my mac.com ID as an Apple ID?

If you signed up for .Mac before July 11, 2008, and also had an active account after July 11th, 2008, then your mac.com ID will still work as an Apple ID for purchases on the iTunes Store, Apple Online Store, and to purchase Apple print products created with iPhoto or Aperture. You can continue to use your mac.com ID or your new me.com ID as an Apple ID (both names access the same account).
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:54 am

rickj wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:You must use a valid e-mail address for the Apple ID (username). But it can't be a MobileMe e-mail address.
Are you sure?
I'm not sure. I based that on my experience yesterday. Here were my steps:
1. Set up new Family MobileMe subaccount for Karen's mom (So she can sync her addresses and calendar)
2. Assign a new MobileMe e-mail address
3. Attempt to use that when filling in the username field in setting up a new Apple ID
4. Fail, with the warning message that you can't use a MobileMe e-mail address
5. Try several other e-mail addresses, all of which turned out to be associated with one of our Apple IDs
6. Create a new eugraph.com e-mail address
7. Succeed using that as the username

I might have been doing something wrong. Sorry I didn't save a screenshot of that warning.
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 am

I think that when you create a MobileMe address, the MobileMe address and password automatically becomes your Apple ID. Maybe instead of trying to create a new one, you should just try logging in to iTunes with her MobileMe address and password. Or maybe in the iTunes account creation process there is a place to tell it that you already have an Apple ID that you want to use. It has been so long since I set up iTunes that I don't remember.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 am

rickj wrote:I think that when you create a MobileMe address, the MobileMe address and password automatically becomes your Apple ID. Maybe instead of trying to create a new one, you should just try logging in to iTunes with her MobileMe address and password. Or maybe in the iTunes account creation process there is a place to tell it that you already have an Apple ID that you want to use. It has been so long since I set up iTunes that I don't remember.
You might be on to something there. If creating the address, in MobileMe admin, also creates an Apple ID, then that explains my problem. I'll check that out...
[Time passes]

Bingo! I just signed in with the MobileMe address and then had to add payment info in iTunes. So you must be right: the Apple ID creation page recognized the MobileMe name as already an Apple ID. However, my statement above is still right, just not for the reason I thought. You can't use a MobileMe e-mail address to set up a new Apple ID.
I guess that's why SMUG pays you the big bucks!
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm with Rick on this one. I've been using my .Mac ID since day one and it works for every Apple sign in I've ever had to deal with.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:I'm with Rick on this one. I've been using my .Mac ID since day one and it works for every Apple sign in I've ever had to deal with.
But you can't use it as the username to create a new Apple ID. That's what I was inadvertently doing.
Steve Jobs